Ebay - New bidding system

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I went to place a bid on a pair of forks yesterday, and suddenly I am confronted with two boxes. One has a price set a pound higher that the current price, the other is some ebay automatic bidding system.... WFT.

I don't want to put in a bid for a pound, and I do not want some automatic system putting my bids in for me, I want to pick my price, and bang it in during the closing seconds of the auction, just like I've always done. And when I looked at the little i - for information logo, a box comes up saying 'we've made some improvements', no you haven't, what you've done is take a perfectly good bidding method and change it because not enough people were using your crappy ebay automatic bidding system. :evil:

Needless to say, I was outbid, by 30 pence. :facepalm:

Using what browser or app?
I use Chrome on the PC and the app. on Android, it's the same as it's ever been.

I'm using Safari and the first time I noticed it was last night. I double checked this morning on another item, and it was still the same.

I understand what they are doing, I just don't like it.

It doesn't look like the auto system has changed. You still put you're highest bid in and ebay incrementally bids as other people do up to your limit, I would have thought you can still enter your highest bid sniper style at the end but if anyone else has already bid your bids will automatically go up to above the other bidders highest (or not if theirs is highest and then they win by the next increment up from your highest).

I can't see this is any different to how it always was however I can't work out why they want to split out an individual bid?

I only wait until the last 8 - 10 seconds to place a bid as I wont get in a bidding war. I have often lost out on an item through placing a bid and a box popping up saying I had to place the correct amount because someone else has done the same and their bid has gone in at even a penny above my bid amount. I looked at a program that places your bids for you at the last second, but I would have had to give the site my ebay password and more infomation regarding me. I would not trust it. I also found that my iphone and my home broadband (iphone connected to home braodband) are different end times. Iphone time ends 2 seconds before computer connection shows (on same listing / item.

It's the new "contact seller" feature I don't get. You click on the item you're contacting them about and get returned to the listings page...

suburbanreuben":29n7u3yk said:
It's the new "contact seller" feature I don't get. You click on the item you're contacting them about and get returned to the listings page...

yep thats bloody annoying! I was sent the wrong item by a seller and clicked the contact seller box, next thing I knew I had started case againsts the seller :shock: which turned out to be a good thing in the end as trying to deal with them direct was like the after effect of a kick in the nutz! it left with me with a dull ache every time I had to send or read one of their customer service emails!

Back