Photo's tell lies

ian.allen2

Retro Guru
I was hunting through ebay the other day and wanted some handlebar tape and finishing tape. I bought both. The handlebar tape turned up first and was ordinary handlebar tape and yesterday, the finishing tape was delivered. The picture on hte listing showed exactly what I was buying. The price was good. It was in UK, so no waiting for many weeks for it from hong kong. I had not read all the description of the item. I opened the package the finishing tape was in annd was surprised at how narrow it is. The pic, I thought, seemed like the size of a roll of tape I had a long time ago. Roughly the size of a roll of cellotape. about 1/2 " wide. The finishing tape I received is 10mm wide. About the same as the widest car coach line tape.
Sometimes, I wish people would put something like a pound coin in the pic for scale.
I bought a cone spanner thinking it was for the bottom bracket (the nut cone behind the chainset). It looked just like one I had in the 70's. when I received it in a normal envelope, I was surprized at the size of it. It was for a wheel cone. Not for a bottom brackeut when they arrivedt.
The same thing a few years ago. There was a picture three brass monkeys, (hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil).The advert said there were 2 of them. So I pictured them on each end of a shelf I put up. No size was mentioned, but when they arrived, they were very small. About the size of a keyring.

Has anyone else bought something off ebay and gone entirely on the picture to be stunned at the size of the item.
Pictures can make things look a lot bigger if there is nothing to show the scale.

4xl cycling jerseys! Came up skin tight on my usual xl/xxl diminutive but ripped torso. I gave a picture but it's a bit early.

A few years ago, my wife bought me a thick knitted Arran jumper. I was an xl to fit me (at the time). It fitted well and I liked how soft the wool was. I wore it one day and my wife washed it and dried it in the tumble drier. I ended up giving the jumper to my next door neighbour for his six year old son. It had shrunk that much, it ended up a kids jumper.

need a small knife for work, just a small folder for opening boxes and sharpening pencils ect, I guess I didn't read the description properly, was expecting something about 3-4" in total what I got was about 7-8" . it has sat In a draw ever since.

A syringe and 90cm rubber tube for servicing my forks and bleeding brakes. 90cm of tube turns up, no syringe. Auction was a multi choice one and implied the syringe was standard and the tube length was optional, I chose the shortest as I didn't need it long. Picture showed both showed syringe and tube. I got my money back and neg'd them for that.

Carl.

xl cycle shorts , iam large an my large ones fit me but anticipated that might need a size bigger off there, there more like a medium lol might fit me if i loose a few stone

drcarlos":28035pis said:
A syringe and 90cm rubber tube for servicing my forks and bleeding brakes. 90cm of tube turns up, no syringe. Auction was a multi choice one and implied the syringe was standard and the tube length was optional, I chose the shortest as I didn't need it long. Picture showed both showed syringe and tube. I got my money back and neg'd them for that.

Carl.

I hate those listings where the picture is not theture, then it should be in the lot, not a choice on what you need. I do same as what you would expect in the post. If it is in the picture, then it should be in the lot, not what you have to choose. I dont blame you for negging the seller.
I bought a syringe and tube when I was doing steam engine models and received the syringe but not the tube. I complained as it should be both as the price was a bit dearer than a syringe from other sellers.

benjy":2rz1jpsu said:
xl cycle shorts , iam large an my large ones fit me but anticipated that might need a size bigger off there, there more like a medium lol might fit me if i loose a few stone

I found on clothes, different companies sizes do vary. But, if you order a larger size, you douldnt expect it to be 2 sizes smaller. lol

My other pet hate on ebay is stuff from hong kong or china in the ebay.co.uk listings. Now there are a lot of items from america and austrailia. I wouldnt mind ordering from there if the postage was not too extortionate and also if the post office stopped their extortionate added costs for import duty and £8 handling fee. Items from china and hong kong, or from the far east in general have started to take much longer to arrive. I used to get some stuff from china delivered quicker than second class posted in this country. Now I am waiting over 3 weeks for something that I thought was in this country and have bought by mistake as it is not from the uk.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back