Mercedes CL's..

Negawsklov

Retro Guru
After having my friends DB9 for a couple of weeks I'm after another car. I loved the Aston but the wife says I don't have 35k to buy one so I'm looking at either a CL500 or CL55 AMG instead around a 2002 flavour. I've looked at Mercedes forums but it's all jargon talk so I wondered if anyone had any experience of these and can pass on their wisdom..

Cheers
Mike

Not much use but my mechanic would strongly advise not to buy a Merc - buy an Audi. That is what he said when i told him i was thinking of buying something other than an Audi.

You could get an Audi S8 2002 for around £5000 - original price was over £79,000. MPG is around 12. Servicing is expensive as the bits are expensive. Try and get one with a good gearbox as a replacement costs £4000 PLUS labour. When i win the lottery, I will be buying my mechanic's S8 and he knows it.

Richard

All Mercs built after the 190E were crap. PHAKT.

Also, Cosworth didn't just do Sierras:
MB_190E_2.5_Evolution_2_4.jpg

Didn't Clarkson buy one for under 7k only for it to need expensive electronics afterwards?

Mercs built between 1996 and 2006 seem to be bad. Rust. Electrics etc. I would love a C36 or something AMG flavoured but, dunno. Saw a lovely 09 A8 Quattro with all the toys. Very nice. Boss had old Ronin style S8 - equally tasty. RS6 would be on my wish list. I was offered an S55 AMG...

It's seems to be the suspension on them that can be a problem with the hydraulic struts but really tricky to check for leaks... I'm sure it can't be anymore problematic that a TVR Chimera!!!

legrandefromage":2y6u2rfi said:
Didn't Clarkson buy one for under 7k only for it to need expensive electronics afterwards?

Mercs built between 1996 and 2006 seem to be bad. Rust. Electrics etc. I would love a C36 or something AMG flavoured but, dunno. Saw a lovely 09 A8 Quattro with all the toys. Very nice. Boss had old Ronin style S8 - equally tasty. RS6 would be on my wish list. I was offered an S55 AMG...

He had a cl600, my ex neighbour has one, it was utter dogshit, of the 3 years he had it, it spent more than 2 off the road and set him back 15k in repairs, I would rather stick my balls in a vice than own one. Remember the big engined ones were best part of 100k new and still have 100k car running costs even though they only cost a few k now.

Carl

Back