My job may kill me...

scottmac

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been trying to start up a venture for a while and ran out of money for the kit I need, so I've had to get a job after saying I would never work for anyone again. :?

Anyhow, the work involves riding sidekick in a van and the driver is a first class dick (to say the least). :roll:

His driving technique is A to B in top gear all the way. He's overshot a few bends, chanced many an amber light, and is constantly one-handed on the wheel whilst his phone is in the other. He's also a mega stress-head, and always criticises others' driving (and work!).

I'm worried that each day will be my last (seriously :( ) but I need to contribute to the mortgage, even though me and the missus are arguing over the position I'm in :(

I can't complain to anyone as he's a relative of the boss. If I do complain; I lose my job. People may say, "Get another job", but it's taken me long enough to get this! :facepalm:

Serious replies as how to stop this prat killing me or anyone else are welcome. I'm totally stressed out when getting in that bloody van! :evil:

There are other jobs. Pack it in. If he doesn't kill you the stress may do so.
Having said that, it may be that the boss feels obliged by family pressure to give him a job. If he really knows what a knob he is, he may give him the boot. That probably won't go down well...

Wait for an obvious occasion where he has endangered another driver or cut them up, then report him to Police as if you had seen it as a casual witness.
You have all the facts to hand, reg number, time of day, all the details, dob the arse in. Maybe you won't have been the first and the police might have a word. Maybe if the boss could get an "anonymous" phone call complaining of the guy's driving to put him in the picture.
Otherwise someone IS going to get hurt.

What sort and size of company and how important is him rather than you driving?

Is the van marked up with company details etc? More info please.

what THM said - need more info, also what type of contract are you on, are you on probation, also is there anyone you can talk to, not necessarily complaining but wanting to protect the company from problems if he is breaking the law by using his phone etc,

1. How much are you getting paid?
2. Are there comparable jobs near you?

If Answer 1 is 'enough'
If Answer 2 is 'a few'

Leave and do the same job elsewhere. Do not bother the Police about the mobile usage, if he gets caught - happy days.

I am not very constructive here, apologies.

Richard

Not an easy situation. You need the money, but a living body and wife more. Keep pro-active with finding job alternatives, it will help keep a light at the end of the tunnel.

In the short term, he may get caught and prosecuted/sacked, meaning you are free of that rubbish without direct confrontation. However it seems you need a quicker and effective solution so, simply ask him to chill out and slow down, chances are it won't do any good but, at least you have got that in for future reference if you both end up in the office, you can refer to that you 'tried'. If, as you say, there is some nepotism for him all ready then, you just have to tread carefully as there is nobody within the company to help with disciplinary action.
For you there is self help or the law. Jack the job and go all-out for something else. It is ok for others to carry on over money and the stigma of joblessness but, you have to lose sleep and brick-it each shift just to bring in the 'devils' paper'. It is crazy what we put up with really just to get by.
Laying traps or tipping off the authorities to his antics can only serve to cause you bother so seek alternative employment asap, agency perhaps?
Don't let pride get in the way either, before now i have taken jobs and found problems and conflict with individuals that have caused me to walk away and think "why did i put up with that"? Simply walked away with all the procedures correct, notice served etc....then got on phone asap until plan B materialises despite money concerns. Not easy at the time, looking back it was a gamble with high risks but was NOT going to suffer fools for minimum wage.

All that high pressure game "sharks are out there" palaver is for those with that 'want the world and all that's in it, make a million pound per year' and assets here, property there, my portfolio is better than yours business....
Leave them to it! They are paid and rewarded to sweat bullets and lose sleep, taking high priority phone calls at 3am, leave them to it! Constantly letting the wife and kids down due to business trips, leave them to it! You get my drift, low cash, low stress. loads of cash, loads of........

In short you ain't paid for that stress, look around.

I have given this more thought. I am a 'bad passenger' and if i was in your situation, honestly, i would leave. The stress would kill me and it would get to a point where i would say "Stop the van, Stop Now!" I would get out and walk. If it was a million miles, i would be walking home.

I really do not envy you, but i would leave - or i would tell my supervisor that i could not cope with the other person's driving and see what happens. But, in all honesty, i could not cope with that at all.

You do need to make your concerns known to your supervisor. I would expect that someone here will have had a similar experience.

Richard

p.s Good luck, i really do not envy you at all - i shudder at the thought of it

old_coyote_pedaller":29hkhb0r said:
Wait for an obvious occasion where he has endangered another driver or cut them up, then report him to Police as if you had seen it as a casual witness.
You have all the facts to hand, reg number, time of day, all the details, dob the arse in. Maybe you won't have been the first and the police might have a word. Maybe if the boss could get an "anonymous" phone call complaining of the guy's driving to put him in the picture.
Otherwise someone IS going to get hurt.
I can't do it as a casual witness because the plod would/may ask whom was in the car with him, and er... it was me!
The History Man":29hkhb0r said:
What sort and size of company and how important is him rather than you driving?

Is the van marked up with company details etc? More info please.
A medium size company and I'm not a designated driver for the business. Some of the vans are liveried up, some not.
TGR":29hkhb0r said:
1. How much are you getting paid?
2. Are there comparable jobs near you?

If Answer 1 is 'enough'
If Answer 2 is 'a few'

Leave and do the same job elsewhere. Do not bother the Police about the mobile usage, if he gets caught - happy days.

I am not very constructive here, apologies.

Richard
Answer 1. not enough. 2. none
It took me long enough to get this POS :(
Don't apologise, it's interesting to read everyone's theories. ;)
marc two tone":29hkhb0r said:
Not an easy situation. You need the money, but a living body and wife more. Keep pro-active with finding job alternatives, it will help keep a light at the end of the tunnel.

In the short term, he may get caught and prosecuted/sacked, meaning you are free of that rubbish without direct confrontation. However it seems you need a quicker and effective solution so, simply ask him to chill out and slow down, chances are it won't do any good but, at least you have got that in for future reference if you both end up in the office, you can refer to that you 'tried'. If, as you say, there is some nepotism for him all ready then, you just have to tread carefully as there is nobody within the company to help with disciplinary action.
For you there is self help or the law. Jack the job and go all-out for something else. It is ok for others to carry on over money and the stigma of joblessness but, you have to lose sleep and brick-it each shift just to bring in the 'devils' paper'. It is crazy what we put up with really just to get by.
Laying traps or tipping off the authorities to his antics can only serve to cause you bother so seek alternative employment asap, agency perhaps?
Don't let pride get in the way either, before now i have taken jobs and found problems and conflict with individuals that have caused me to walk away and think "why did i put up with that"? Simply walked away with all the procedures correct, notice served etc....then got on phone asap until plan B materialises despite money concerns. Not easy at the time, looking back it was a gamble with high risks but was NOT going to suffer fools for minimum wage.

All that high pressure game "sharks are out there" palaver is for those with that 'want the world and all that's in it, make a million pound per year' and assets here, property there, my portfolio is better than yours business....
Leave them to it! They are paid and rewarded to sweat bullets and lose sleep, taking high priority phone calls at 3am, leave them to it! Constantly letting the wife and kids down due to business trips, leave them to it! You get my drift, low cash, low stress. loads of cash, loads of........

In short you ain't paid for that stress, look around.
Quite simply, I can't walk away or we may lose the house. I've dropped a few strong "hints"on his driving, but he's as thick as pig sh!t, as is our boss. :(
Re. Jack the job and go all-out for something else; I have other (shall we say) outside influences which hinders what work I can do. This has been hard to find, hence I was in the middle of starting my own gig. I haven't got pride. I've cleaned toilets and swept streets in the past.

Back