Education system problem

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I got a threatening letter today about my oldest daughters absences.

Now they say it's 10 days since September, I thought it was much less, but I was concerned about her time off. The problem is she has had three bout's of really bad headaches and feeling dizzy standing up. lasts about 2-3 days and she feels better. I cannot take her to the GP as it would mean walking 3.5 miles and she'd not be fit enough to do that, or calling a GP out, and christ the medical profession are always harping on about being called out to trifling little problems when there are much more serious ones in need of their attention, and quite right too, you call a doctor out or an ambulance if you feel that your life is in danger in some way or broken bones, so calling out a GP to see a girl with a headache would not go down well with them at all, certainly not with my surgery.

Anyway the letter threatens the social services so I called the school, they've "taken on board what I've said" yet still continued to tell me that another absence will involve the social services :shock:

Am I being unreasonable :?: My daughters education is as important to me as life itself, it's your ticket to a better life, but so is her need to recover from any illness. Surely the social services are there for abuse of any nature and the persistent truanting of children, not parent's trying to do the best for their children by feeding, nurturing, helping with school stuff, relationships and to be at their bedside during illness.

Alison

forget about the school-get her in a taxi and get to the doctors,or get a doctor out to her.and do it today.

p.

Speaking as a teacher, albeit not one that deals with absence directly, I would think your first port of call should be the doctors, that is far more important in the scheme of things. Just give them a call and explain the situation again making sure to keep records of times, names and dates. The school are are basically just after turning an 'unauthorised' absence into an authorised one so they don't get hauled up when the figures are scrutinised.
Don't take it as personal, it may just be a breakdown in communication.

But yes, got to the doctors NOW if the headaches are persistent...

Ambulance as you pay taxes etc...

Had a friend along time ago who had headaches etc.. went to the Doc who rushed him the hospital as it turned out to be a blood clot on the brain :shock: so can never be too careful

shergie":earjafwe said:
Speaking as a teacher, albeit not one that deals with absence directly, I would think your first port of call should be the doctors, that is far more important in the scheme of things. Just give them a call and explain the situation again making sure to keep records of times, names and dates. The school are are basically just after turning an 'unauthorised' absence into an authorised one so they don't get hauled up when the figures are scrutinised.
Don't take it as personal, it may just be a breakdown in communication.

But yes, got to the doctors NOW if the headaches are persistent...

There not unauthorised absences, they are all documented.

Secondly, the chances of it being anything other than headaches are pretty slim, I suffer from migraines, and the never seam to be any rhyme or reason for them they just are and there'd be no point going to the GP they'd say, take an aspirin and rest. there would be other symptoms if it were anything serious, and they wouldn't go away for weeks on end, and my GP is about a sympathetic as psycho. There are always ads about, if you've had a cough for two weeks see your GP, so after 2 months of a really bad cough he went, she said, you have a cough, it'll pass, he felt so stupid, still has that damn cough.

I'll of course keep an eye on her but she's singing and dancing now, it's more likely she needs eat a bit more.

Alison

I'm not a run to the doctor for anything type person, if I can stay away I can... but headaches that take you down for 3 days and more than 1, I'd be taking a trip to the doc pronto.
Just because you have migraines that you don't worry about doesn't mean that your daughter has anything similar. Could be nothing, but might be something.

set up a meeting with the school's education welfare officer. They may be part of the school's staff or it may be a bought in service from the LEA. Let the meeting be at your house at your convenience. Let them meet your daughter to appreciate how it is.
Remember, work with them trying to find solutions rather than putting up barricades against the enemy. Regardless of what you've heard in the community or on the internet, the school really does want what is best for your daughter.

Like others have sed, seek pro medical advice first so that you can state your case with evidence, or at least be showing you have taken some steps to address the problem. There may be an underlying medical condition that needs diagnosing

Sorry but I struggle to see the importance :oops: I have from my teens suffered from really serious pains in my chest, really agonizing, I don't think you can imagine the pain, yet here I am 47 odd years later still crippled occasionally by severe pain, still here still nothing wrong still going to be here 50 years along the line. My son as a child really had bad pains in his back and side, I suggested warm baths, it alleviated it. now 21 and a Marine as safe as houses. Pain here or there is just pain. I know full well there is nothing more than a headache and that's what anyone would say with a medical degree or not.

True I know if my daughter was on her death bed she at the surgery would pass her off, but believe me I WOULD NEVER!!!. put her in danger!!

I will monitor her, but will not be over the top.

Alison

Alison,you asked us for advice there...and we are all just saying please,get her to the doctors pronto....its the right thing to do.May be nothing,but you cant make that call-go on,it'll give ye peace of mind

p.

Doctors that us what they are there for.
Whether you are scared, don't trust it whatever. You daughter is missing out on her education because of it.
They may find/not find a reason... It does not matter, but they can try. It might be as simple as birth control to regulate hormoned. It might be an allergic reaction triggered by something. They can do wonders. If your GP cannot find anything then go to another to see if they can.
That is what they are paid by the country to do.

You're letting your daughter suffer pain that may/may not be treatable. Your letting her miss her education because of it. The school have a duty by law to be concerned.

Ibuprofen Lysine is the preferred migrane/headache relief, make sure there is no caffeine in them!

Back