London - Would you commute by bike?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have just read of yet another cyclist killed in London and another in a crash in Camden.

That makes 14 deaths so far this year and goodness knows how many injuries.

I don't know about you, but if I had to commute in London, I'd dump the bike in the garage for the winter and walk rather than risk being swiped off by a bus or truck, regardless of whose fault is was.

It's a sorry state for sure. I'd like to think I ride road with my wits about me.

Surprised local commuters in London don't have meeting points and routes, there must be a lot riding to and from pretty much the same locations, like car pool clubs i'd look to organise grouping to ride en masse critical mass style.

Anyone know how to write apps for phone n web?

cyclist killed on a local road near me yesterday;according to the news
haverton hill just near portrack lane stockton;
cant think how;its a wide road and cycle lane either side
would think it was safe enough :?
but heard of a few this year sad do for the families

I rode it on Saturday on the Urban retro ride. I know it's not rush hour, and roads are quieter, but they seemed more knowledgeable and respectful to cyclists than round here, and I commute here. That being said, I did come across 1 dangerous bus driver in Laaandan

Whilst is is purely theoretical, if I lived in London I assume I would cycle if I worked more than a couple of miles from home. BUT this would only happen if I could devise a route that I felt safe cycling. My current cycle commute (not everyday) is around eight miles each way, this is around two miles longer than the most direct (and dangerous) route

There's London and London. But probably not in winter.

Would ride from finchley to hampstead in the 80s through some nice bits.

The History Man":3pd7jn6c said:
There's London and London.
As a Londoner born and bred I understand that, and it would not take much research to figure out where the most dangerous places are, but fourteen deaths in eleven months, six in a matter of three weeks, added to the fourteen deaths in 2012; I really think I'd prefer to pogo stick backwards or ride a space hopper to work, anything other than cycle.

Yes; 5 days week whatever the weather, from BR1 to SE1 and back through the delights of Bellingham, Catford, Lewisham and Deptford. Some pretty busy roads. Based on the experiences I've had over 5 years of commuting there's been a ton of good stuff.

I love cycling. If you love it do it. If you don't, don't bother. I won't stop until my legs give up. I've saved a ton of cash (even with the subsequent RB addiction!) compared with the public or private transport and got proper fit. It kick started a much healthier streak and meant I could start running because I'd shifted some of the immediate bulk. I went from 2k's runs to regularly churning out 8-10 miles a week to half marathons to my first full marathon next year in Brighton.

It's much quicker and way more reliable than taking public or private transport. You end up exploring parts of London or your local area, uncovering all sorts of gems: shops, parks, short-cuts, trails, etc.

Naturally though, there are many problems but they all link to 1 factor: you, me, everybody, all of us. Everyone needs to pay a little bit more attention to what they are doing and the impact is has on others. For example:

The pedestrian who walks out onto the street without looking left or right.
The cyclist who skips a red light even when it's "safe".
The driver who doesn't look in the mirror when turning left or right.

We've all done it and we all know why we did it, because we didn't pay attention. Sometimes you can be attentive as possible and still get knocked. It happened to me and I ended up arse over tit with a broken bike and torn ankle ligaments. But before then I was an irresponsible cyclist who skipped the odd light and thought it was ok. Whilst I was paying attention at that point of impact, the fact I generally didn't made me a less attentive cyclist. In other words, I was going to have an accident sooner or later. I'm sure you can think of similar cyclists, similar pedestrians and similar drivers; people like you and me. Their actions have a consequence on some poor bastard who was attentive.

Respect each-other. That's it. Whilst developing more cycle lanes is a nice idea it won't stop the root cause of the problem.

(I have one other wacky theory, especially this year. Compared with 2012, everyone has gone a little nuts and are more agitated then ever before. I think it's post Olympic madness. Last year the feel good factor generally made everyone a bit more respectful and be less in a rush and took more time. Now that feeling has gone and boy have we seen the consequences.)

Back