PC Help Please.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I seem to be getting a few Trojan files this week. My anti virus software finds them and kicks the cr#p out of them but I would rather stop them getting in. Can I get a kick arse firewall that would do the job? Which one would you recommend? It probably has to be available from PC World, but would be on expenses. Any ideas?

Cheers all.

computerbitz":h1e7k2rs said:
What you using at the mo

AVG on the virus and spywear front. I think HP Protect tools is supposed to do the firewall thing. Trouble is it either does it all quietly in the backgroung, or doesn't do anything at all. One I before was forever telling me that such-and-such application wanted to connect to whatever. I don't get any of that now.

Isn't norton the one that is impossible to uninstall as it thinks uninstall is a command by a virus?

Running AVG 8.0 Internet Security and Spyware Doctor, works for me...

its not impossible to uninstall it is however if you aint used to or not got a clue about difficult to setup but as i say thats with the old internet security suite the new norton 360 gets rave review for being easy to understand and use

Thanks people. Is there no such thing as a firewall program then? Does it always come as part of a wider anti virus program?

Iwasgoodonce":1334mlzw said:
Thanks people. Is there no such thing as a firewall program then? Does it always come as part of a wider anti virus program?

no there are firewall programs if after a stand alone you after mcafee firewall norton do one and theres a few free ones zone alarm and others need to make sure they dont clash with what other software you running though avg do one in the retail version of avg 8 internet security. do you use a router at all as most have there own built in firewall aswell

The standard Windows firewall (XP and onwards, anyway) is really all you need. The trouble with more sophisticated firewalls is that they really need the user to understand which processes are legit and which are not. In practice they're just a hassle for users (who get used to either permitting everything, or rejecting everything when it pesters them) and generally don't increase security by any significant amount.

AVG is definitely one of the best anti-virus programs; very little gets past it in real world use, and it doesn't interfere with the general running of the system (unlike the truly awful stuff from McAfee and Norton). Disclaimer - I'm an official AVG reseller :LOL: Having said that, I'd been recommending it for years before actually signing up to their reseller program.

You're most likely picking up most threats either browsing the web, or through peer to peer downloads. For the web side of things, Firefox with the "NoScript" extension is a pretty secure combination, though again it requires a reasonable degree of savvy on the part of the user to work effectively.

For p2p... well, there's probably not much you can do other than only download fully legit torrents of open source software etc. I don't know many people who only use p2p for that :)

Back