Your Favorite Music Lyrics - Please Post Them

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I doubt anyone has noticed but i have posted some music lyrics in a couple of threads and that got me thinking about favourite lyrics, of which i have a couple. My favorite is -

"I wasn't born, so much as i fell out" - The Clash, Lost in a Supermarket

So post your favorite lyrics and please add the song and artist.

Richard

I'll offer the absurdly silly "I lost my bag in Newport Pagnell" from The Smiths' Is It Really So Strange?, which always makes me smile when I hear it.

David

The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had

(bloody Google) Roland Orzabal - Mad World

Imagine his surprise when he opened his eyes,
and I'd run the lawnmower over his thighs.

the wonderstuff- Welcome To The Cheap Seats

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

I could fill pages with nothing but Morrissey lyrics...

I've had my face dragged in fifteen miles of shit, and I do not, I do not, I do not like it.

So I broke into the palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner... she said I know you and you can not sing... I said that's nothing you should hear me play piano.

etc...

al.

Far too many to list... but I can remember the first lyrics I heard that made me properly laugh:

"Is that a smile that hangs beneath your nose, or are your eyes so wide they've pulled your mouth into a stupid pose?" from Circlesquare by the Wonder Stuff.

I've never been able to understand people who profess to love a particular song or artist, but haven't actually listened to any of their lyrics. I'm all for appreciating the instrumental factor in songs, but what is the point of just mentally blanking out all the words when you listen? It's like buying an incredibly nice wine, then just injecting it instead of drinking it. (no, it's not really, but you get the point...)

Fair point, but try listening to some of my old punk stuff - the lyrics are not very distinct (probably understatement of the evening).

Richard

True, I guess some genres don't make for easy comprehension :D although I bet your old punk is still easier to understand than the industrial metal (or whatever it was called) that my flatmate used to 'share' with me many years ago...

It's a hallmark of adulthood
That our options diminish
As our faculties for choice increase
Till we choose everything and nothing
Too late at the finish

Back