Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:53 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 468
Location: walsall,west midlands
what about selling it on ebay as spares/repairs? then getting something a little older but in working con for a few hundred, i just got the focus for £450 so bound to be something like that around ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:26 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
raleighrider21 wrote:
what about selling it on ebay as spares/repairs? then getting something a little older but in working con for a few hundred, i just got the focus for £450 so bound to be something like that around ?


Mmm that might be something to consider, I thought spending as much as you could on the youngest you could get was the best idea, well it's lasted just 6 months the Y reg Volvo we had before was in better condition :(

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 468
Location: walsall,west midlands
my focus is now 10 years old, over 170k although its tatty cosmetic wise, runs sweet as a nut, not a issue with it, was looking at new cars myself but the older cars (10 years+) are just as good and will probably last a bit longer, the gf will be selling her c2 soon and getting a 99 ford fiesta because of the electrical issue shes having meaning it doesnt read anything on the speedo. if you can get something like £900-£1000 for the car you could get something like a older volvo again for that if you look properly for £500-£600ish then rest can go on insurance? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:45 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
raleighrider21 wrote:
my focus is now 10 years old, over 170k although its tatty cosmetic wise, runs sweet as a nut, not a issue with it, was looking at new cars myself but the older cars (10 years+) are just as good and will probably last a bit longer, the gf will be selling her c2 soon and getting a 99 ford fiesta because of the electrical issue shes having meaning it doesnt read anything on the speedo. if you can get something like £900-£1000 for the car you could get something like a older volvo again for that if you look properly for £500-£600ish then rest can go on insurance? :)


The problem we did have with the Volvo was it pissed out petrol at an alarming rate but the diesel Ford just gently sips at the fuel.

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 468
Location: walsall,west midlands
im finding the same thing, ive done 45mpg so far and im not exactly on a ecodrive either and this is with a automatic gearbox, ive only put £30 in diesel in so far and the needle has hardly moved so far, the nissan was getting 35mpg if i was lucky :/ IF your going to fix the ford id be looking at the coil, the injectors and possibly the plugs? for the engine issue


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:10 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Before you do anything dramatic why not have the faults diagnosed at least by a good independent garage, they likely charge a little for it, but then at least you'll know and can make an informed decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:05 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
Neil wrote:
Before you do anything dramatic why not have the faults diagnosed at least by a good independent garage, they likely charge a little for it, but then at least you'll know and can make an informed decision.


I was going to mention the difficulty of getting the car the 8 miles to the garage, but remembered there is one 2 miles away in the next village, never been to him though but sure he could do a diagnostic check on the old beast.

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:05 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 1665
Location: Glasgow
Thread title is misleading.

I thought it would be about the guy in a basque pumping his Range Rover in the exhaust.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:18 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
technodup wrote:
Thread title is misleading.

I thought it would be about the guy in a basque pumping his Range Rover in the exhaust.


:lol: :lol:

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F**king cars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
Sounds like someone might have been 'working' on the steering column. I second Neil's advice, get a quote at least.

The faults you mention, (possibly bar the 'rubber band' but that may also be), are electrical. You could consider a mobile auto electrician, as even garages are often without any real expertise in auto electrics.

What colour does the glowplug warning lamp exhibit, and does it come on when turning the car on cold, and go out as normal after a few seconds? Were you driving along and suddenly the car lost power and that light came on?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FairfaxPat, Piperdave and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group