Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:42 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 4:07 pm
Posts: 172
Location: Northumberland
Hi all
I have been reading this post with mucho interest.

As a landlord in the North East I would like to put my bit across.

I am a landlord by circumstance rather than choice. It is not a business to me and there may well be other landlords like me. Due to my job moving, I had to up sticks and move to a rental near my new job. Being dog lovers we didn't ban animals in our property when we set out the tenancy, rather limited to 1 dog and/or cat. It was the tenants we were more bothered abt!
The 1st tenancy didn't end well. The management agency were ineffectual and allowed the tenants to trash the house. They left owing 2 mnths rent and causing enough damage to force us to take 6 months to repair the house. We were advised that to get the money back plus the damage would take an infinite time thru the Small Courts. The tenants knew the regs better than us and my insurance wasn't good enough.
When we let it again we never banned animals again as, even though we learnt there was a small menagerie living there, the damage wasn't their fault!
The house is no longer my home as the abuse it has suffered means we cannot go back. However it would seem we r in the minority in allowing pets.
All of my tenants so far have fell far below my expectations of how I was taught to treat someone else's property.
After my story, my point is this. The majority of landlords may b in it for money but all. Business landlords probably want the minimum of fuss. private landlords may be twitchy abt pets but, if I had to start from scratch, i still wouldn't ban a pet.
You sound like the exception to the rule and I would love to let my house to a fellow Taff but I fear the commute would kill you.
You have had both sides presented to u but ultimately it is ure choice.
Rhys


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:13 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:08 am
Posts: 1040
Location: Thatcham - Berkshire
...it is not the pet(s) that are the problem it is the owners of them. Good owners = good pets who do not bark, chew or destroy. Unfortunately it is a Landlords market right now so they can be choosy. I have the same issue if I need to take my dogs (4) with me if I am working away. The chain hotels will not entertain any more than 2, and then will levy a surcharge. I therefore look for independent hotels where the owners have their own dogs - last one I stayed in near Plymouth was £65 inc breakfast, no surcharge and the dogs were allowed everywhere with me (including down to dinner and the bar).

I think in this case you should 'forget' about the dog and inherit it a week later. If your dog is as well behaved as you say (and I have no reason to doubt that it is) then having them there should not give any of the neighbours any reason to lodge a complaint.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:01 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:54 pm
Posts: 905
Location: Heathfield
I don't think you should lie mate, just think of the consequences if you're evicted a few months down the line with a new baby in tow (congratulations BTW). I think the only option is to contact the landlords directly, I know this is hard, especially through a letting agency, but the agency will sometimes give you a landlord's contact details so I'd obtain the landlords details and contact them directly, explaining the situation and hopefully you'll meet someone who's sympathetic to your request. Lots of people have dogs and they can't all be house owners so someone somewhere must be letting dogs in! I think the idea of a pet friendly rental company is brilliant, go for it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:38 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm
Posts: 2373
Location: California
ovlov440 wrote:
I think in this case you should 'forget' about the dog and inherit it a week later. If your dog is as well behaved as you say (and I have no reason to doubt that it is) then having them there should not give any of the neighbours any reason to lodge a complaint.


This plan might work in the case of an absentee landlord but not for someone who lives in the area. A tenancy agreement, like any other business deal, must be built on trust.


Steven


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 793
Location: Costa-del-Oldham
Reading this, I feel so lucky.

we currently rent 7 will do for the foreseeable future. The terms on the lease were strictly no pets, unfortunately we had a cat which scuppered the rental process with the estate agents. Upon enquiring more, it was a private rental, just estate agents getting a fee for finding initial rental.

Luckily after speaking to the landlords, they realised we were a professional family, have said do WHATEVER you want to the house, treat it as your own, after all we are adding market value by decorating etc.

Basically we are paying the mortgage on their new mansion type house in the hills and are probably happy with that.

they even helped in the search when the cat went missing.

i can understand some peoples fears about pets, but as stated earlier, they generally spend more time asleep than awake. Think my cat sleeps about 18 hours a day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:19 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 3361
Location: The Admiral Benbow
lewisfoto wrote:
ovlov440 wrote:
I think in this case you should 'forget' about the dog and inherit it a week later. If your dog is as well behaved as you say (and I have no reason to doubt that it is) then having them there should not give any of the neighbours any reason to lodge a complaint.


This plan might work in the case of an absentee landlord but not for someone who lives in the area. A tenancy agreement, like any other business deal, must be built on trust.


Steven


in my experience never trust a landlord.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:23 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
lumos2000 wrote:
lewisfoto wrote:
ovlov440 wrote:
I think in this case you should 'forget' about the dog and inherit it a week later. If your dog is as well behaved as you say (and I have no reason to doubt that it is) then having them there should not give any of the neighbours any reason to lodge a complaint.


This plan might work in the case of an absentee landlord but not for someone who lives in the area. A tenancy agreement, like any other business deal, must be built on trust.


Steven


in my experience never trust a landlord.



GOD FORBID..... :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FairfaxPat, Piperdave, turkeytickler and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group