Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:45 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 7058
Location: The land of Lea & Perrins
We offer to meet every single landlord, in person, at our current house. That way they can see exactly how we live and exactly how well behaved the dog is. Sadly, letting agents just let it fall on deaf ears and our suggestion never goes any further than them. The only 2 landlords we've ever managed to meet are, funnily enough, the 2 that have let us have a dog in our previous flat and the house where we now live. Letting agents seem to be just as much of an obstacle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7056
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
Barneyballbags wrote:
We offer to meet every single landlord, in person, at our current house. That way they can see exactly how we live and exactly how well behaved the dog is. Sadly, letting agents just let it fall on deaf ears and our suggestion never goes any further than them. The only 2 landlords we've ever managed to meet are, funnily enough, the 2 that have let us have a dog in our previous flat and the house where we now live. Letting agents seem to be just as much of an obstacle.



Sadly its because there are too many tenants and choices currently for landlords. I think you need to push a little harder though, i think you are doing the right things.

And whilst a landlord i also have a lab, and even though it has a short hair coat, i still have to hoover everyday.

The last tenant moved in and didnt tell me they had a cat, and on the second day after they moved in i had to visit with a builder to have new guttering supplied and fitted throughout the house, only to find the tenants boyfriend cutting a hole in the bottom glass section of the back door to fit a cat flap.

You can imagine my response.

Sadly not all tenants are the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:42 pm
Posts: 3196
Never a good idea to lie, I'd try to find a different solution.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:35 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 636
Location: Ripon
xxnick1975 wrote:
Never a good idea to lie, I'd try to find a different solution.

like what enlighten us?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 7058
Location: The land of Lea & Perrins
xxnick1975 wrote:
Never a good idea to lie, I'd try to find a different solution.


Like what?

I'm not giving up our dog. He is as much of my family as our baby will be in March. We can't afford to stay where we are because of the soon-to-be increase in our travel costs. We've been 100% open and upfront until now, and all we've run into are brick walls. We can't afford a deposit to buy a house. And we've practically opened up the house we're in now so that any potential landlord can come and meet us, meet Barney and see exactly the sort of condition we keep our current property in.

Seriously, if you've got a solution that means we can find a dog friendly, affordable property, that isn't a shithole, then I'm all ears! ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:45 am
Posts: 1136
Location: Poppy Fields
I do think you are being a little blinkered. Why would a landlord come and see how you live when he can quite happily sit on his ass and wait for a dogless, non smoking, working tenant that will happily look at the place and take it without him having to go out of his way?

I get it, I have had dogs, but if you are renting you have to be realistic and if you need somewhere to bring up your child that is due in March then you may need to make some concessions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11108
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
You tried advertising in the local papers in the wanted section?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:21 pm
Posts: 636
Location: Ripon
some folks think all the country is the same ie non smoking working no pets;
here in the north east theres streets of empty houses
and folks walking about on drugs and drink and yes they have dogs and pets and can still rent
if you are willing to give a bond and be clean why should you be made to get rid of pets
what about human rights the right to live as any others can
what about the adds children considerd would you advercate getting rid of a child to get accom?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 3361
Location: The Admiral Benbow
sinnerman wrote:
Barneyballbags wrote:
We offer to meet every single landlord, in person, at our current house. That way they can see exactly how we live and exactly how well behaved the dog is. Sadly, letting agents just let it fall on deaf ears and our suggestion never goes any further than them. The only 2 landlords we've ever managed to meet are, funnily enough, the 2 that have let us have a dog in our previous flat and the house where we now live. Letting agents seem to be just as much of an obstacle.



Sadly its because there are too many tenants and choices currently for landlords. I think you need to push a little harder though, i think you are doing the right things.

And whilst a landlord i also have a lab, and even though it has a short hair coat, i still have to hoover everyday.

The last tenant moved in and didnt tell me they had a cat, and on the second day after they moved in i had to visit with a builder to have new guttering supplied and fitted throughout the house, only to find the tenants boyfriend cutting a hole in the bottom glass section of the back door to fit a cat flap.

You can imagine my response.

Sadly not all tenants are the same.


correct me if im wrong its been a while since I rented but doesn't a landlord need to give 2 weeks notice/written permission to enter the property?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11108
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/30635607

That is a four bedroom pets considered. You could let a room to a student or something. Nice village.

Shame you were not up here, most of the estate properties get let out on word of mouth and just about all are dog friendly! Our holiday lets are just about all pet friendly, most people wanting to take long breaks in the Highlands have pets.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], M-Power, Stick Legs and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group