Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:45 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master

We offer to meet every single landlord, in person, at our current house. That way they can see exactly how we live and exactly how well behaved the dog is. Sadly, letting agents just let it fall on deaf ears and our suggestion never goes any further than them. The only 2 landlords we've ever managed to meet are, funnily enough, the 2 that have let us have a dog in our previous flat and the house where we now live. Letting agents seem to be just as much of an obstacle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Barneyballbags wrote:
We offer to meet every single landlord, in person, at our current house. That way they can see exactly how we live and exactly how well behaved the dog is. Sadly, letting agents just let it fall on deaf ears and our suggestion never goes any further than them. The only 2 landlords we've ever managed to meet are, funnily enough, the 2 that have let us have a dog in our previous flat and the house where we now live. Letting agents seem to be just as much of an obstacle.

Sadly its because there are too many tenants and choices currently for landlords. I think you need to push a little harder though, i think you are doing the right things.

And whilst a landlord i also have a lab, and even though it has a short hair coat, i still have to hoover everyday.

The last tenant moved in and didnt tell me they had a cat, and on the second day after they moved in i had to visit with a builder to have new guttering supplied and fitted throughout the house, only to find the tenants boyfriend cutting a hole in the bottom glass section of the back door to fit a cat flap.

You can imagine my response.

Sadly not all tenants are the same.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Never a good idea to lie, I'd try to find a different solution.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:35 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

xxnick1975 wrote:

like what enlighten us?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master

xxnick1975 wrote:

Like what?

I'm not giving up our dog. He is as much of my family as our baby will be in March. We can't afford to stay where we are because of the soon-to-be increase in our travel costs. We've been 100% open and upfront until now, and all we've run into are brick walls. We can't afford a deposit to buy a house. And we've practically opened up the house we're in now so that any potential landlord can come and meet us, meet Barney and see exactly the sort of condition we keep our current property in.

Seriously, if you've got a solution that means we can find a dog friendly, affordable property, that isn't a shithole, then I'm all ears! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 pm 
Retro Guru

I do think you are being a little blinkered. Why would a landlord come and see how you live when he can quite happily sit on his ass and wait for a dogless, non smoking, working tenant that will happily look at the place and take it without him having to go out of his way?

I get it, I have had dogs, but if you are renting you have to be realistic and if you need somewhere to bring up your child that is due in March then you may need to make some concessions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

You tried advertising in the local papers in the wanted section?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

some folks think all the country is the same ie non smoking working no pets;
here in the north east theres streets of empty houses
and folks walking about on drugs and drink and yes they have dogs and pets and can still rent
if you are willing to give a bond and be clean why should you be made to get rid of pets
what about human rights the right to live as any others can
what about the adds children considerd would you advercate getting rid of a child to get accom?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

sinnerman wrote:
Barneyballbags wrote:

Sadly its because there are too many tenants and choices currently for landlords. I think you need to push a little harder though, i think you are doing the right things.

And whilst a landlord i also have a lab, and even though it has a short hair coat, i still have to hoover everyday.

The last tenant moved in and didnt tell me they had a cat, and on the second day after they moved in i had to visit with a builder to have new guttering supplied and fitted throughout the house, only to find the tenants boyfriend cutting a hole in the bottom glass section of the back door to fit a cat flap.

You can imagine my response.

Sadly not all tenants are the same.

correct me if im wrong its been a while since I rented but doesn't a landlord need to give 2 weeks notice/written permission to enter the property?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/30635607

That is a four bedroom pets considered. You could let a room to a student or something. Nice village.

Shame you were not up here, most of the estate properties get let out on word of mouth and just about all are dog friendly! Our holiday lets are just about all pet friendly, most people wanting to take long breaks in the Highlands have pets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next