Little road bike. Where?

BertR00t

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My daughter is 8 and does a lot of training as she does triathlons. She struggles with her bike, well to an extent, as it is a mountain bike and not the lightest. Front sus and the amount of components on it don't help. Don't want rid of it as it is good for her off road.

I want to get her a road bike but she is only 140cm tall with a 66cm inside leg. I know I could buy her an Isla but I really want to avoid the brand. The bike they have in her size is only an 8 speed and she would benefit from a front mech as she uses the whole spread of gears in her MTB.

Any ideas where I can get something to suit her? Needs to be light and ideally have a compact frame. Would prefer it to come in at less than 400 sheets.

Only other model I could think of is the Moda Major but it usually sells at a tad over £450. However, I did track this 24"-wheeled CB offering down if the link's of any help:

http://bikechainricci.co.uk/kids-zone/k ... -24-wheel/

I'm sure Ricci used to do a mini Italian steel road bike (Battaglin??) for kids back in the days when they had a regular CW advert, but couldn't find any sign of it.

David

Looks good but hoping to get her something with a 26" wheel ideally as she will be out of a 24 before I blink. The issue I am having is trying to get a frame small enough with that size wheel. Easy to get in a 45cm frame but really looking for smaller.

BertR00t":24507utg said:
Looks good but hoping to get her something with a 26" wheel ideally as she will be out of a 24 before I blink. The issue I am having is trying to get a frame small enough with that size wheel. Easy to get in a 45cm frame but really looking for smaller.

There are a couple of Dawes models selling at £300 or less - the Junior Sprint and the Giro 300, both use a 26" wheel. The Giro 300 is the better of the two as it features STI shifting. Comes in a 40cm sloping frame format:

http://cycle-exchange.co.uk/dawes-junio ... rrency=GBP

David

Dawes looks OK. Am leaning towards a Felt F95 Jr. 650c wheels and a nice small frame. Found that for 480.

Back