Hubby did 60 miles and cold bath

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
He hasn't done any serious riding for some time, good intentions but... just his 14 miles a day going to and from work. I know when I've don huge amounts from normal that the next day I can hardly walk, he got home shattered had a cold bath and say's that saved him from the agony the next day.

Question, do ice cold baths really make a difference to your muscles the next day?

Alison

Russell":1q27z167 said:
Alison":1q27z167 said:
Question, do ice cold baths really make a difference to your muscles the next day?

No...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21477164

"ineffective in alleviating muscle soreness or enhancing muscle force recovery"

It makes no difference to 'muscles', but many people appear to enjoy a placebo effect.

Yep, heard this many times as well.... and personally, I dont enjoy the placebo effect enough to warrent plunging the dangles into such a hostile environment :shock: :shock: :shock: Nice warm soak for me, with several cups of tea

G

I dont do the bath but shower my legs with cold water . Seems to help but might all be in the head !

I've heard about this before and read about it in various magazines. I know various motorcycle racers used to do ice plunges after training and Andy's done it after marathon training. :xmas-cool:

I've heard people swear that it works and I've been told there is no evidence to suggest that it works. I've tried it myself after big runs and to be honest I don't really know if it works or not so I don't bother as it just doesnt seem worth it. I think the best way to clear the lactate is to drink plenty of water and keeping the legs active but without pushing hard. Ride the last few miles at a gentle pace spinning more than pushing, go for a gentle walk, excersise bike etc. I often ride my fixie around the block a few times after I've done a tough run. See they do have a use, they're not just for running over pedestrians and knocking wing mirrors of cars :LOL:

Back to the cold baths thing though, I was told to sit in an empty bath and let the water fill up around you as its more bareable than jumping straight in. Also I can tell you that the cold bath water (which in my house comes from a tank in the roof) is alot fricken colder in the winter than it is in the summer :LOL: .

Back