mushrooms

gibbleking

Old School Grand Master
one of the cool things about where i live in the countryside is the abundance of things growing wild that you can chomp on.this lot is just from this mornings walk with the doggies.yesterdays haul was twice the size.going to bbq the lot with some bacon in the nice sunny warmth of evening.

Attachments

• IMG_20131005_103737.jpg
    IMG_20131005_103737.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 701
useless for dunking sadly,however i can add that dinner (beef burgers,smokey bacon and mushrooms+3 slices of freshly cut bread and butter) was extremely tasty and am now nicely stuffed.i shall be off in the morning roaming the ruins for more picking.we yend to leave loads so that more grow overnight,luckily there are 2 more fallow fields next to the one we get most from that i havnt looked at yet.... :cool:

It's a late season down my way but the Ceps and Bay Boletes are just coming up.
I hauled in about 5kg of Ceps and 20 of Bays yesterday and the the airing cupboard now smells very fungy. Everything smells very fungy.
I have enough of them to last a while, so will only pick a meal's worth at a time until the Wood Blewetts pop up. yum!

amazing Autumn kilo's of wild field mushrooms to some quite amazing specimens in C Y B, would've loved to know what they were I recognised classic fly argaric and wondered what eats them?

joe careless":vj5pfl1l said:
amazing Autumn kilo's of wild field mushrooms to some quite amazing specimens in C Y B, would've loved to know what they were I recognised classic fly argaric and wondered what eats them?
Reindeer love Fly Agaric. There was a Scandinavian tribe called the Berserkers who used them before attacking their neighbours. Nuff said!

THere are very few poisonous mushrooms- only 3 or 4 will actually kill you in an agonising "sorry but there is no remedy" manner, and there are many that are edible.
The best descriptions, pics and recipes I have found are in Antonio Carluccios "Complete Mushroom Book". It isn't complete; it only deals with yummy ones and the ones you should avoid.
There are too many pics of a fat man walking round some misty woods but it is a tenner well spent!

suburbanreuben":76fhqrga said:
I hauled in about 5kg of Ceps and 20 of Bays yesterday and the the airing cupboard now smells very fungy. Everything smells very fungy.
I have enough of them to last a while, so will only pick a meal's worth at a time until the Wood Blewetts pop up. yum!

We have loads of Parasol Mushrooms here at the moment, but very few boletus of any description. Not tried Wood Blewits before, what do you use them for?

Fly agarics taste awful and they upset your stomach, plus they make you behave like a lunatic! :shock:

Aparently, the trick is not to eat the fungus directly. The beserkers found that if they got the reindeer to each the fungus, then they drink their urine, they didn't get any of the sickness associated with them, just the hallucinogenic effects. :LOL:

suburbanreuben":253vimfs said:
Aparently, the trick is not to eat the fungus directly. The beserkers found that if they got the reindeer to each the fungus, then they drink their urine, they didn't get any of the sickness associated with them, just the hallucinogenic effects. :LOL:
Intense people

andyz":3l50bjnk said:
suburbanreuben":3l50bjnk said:

We have loads of Parasol Mushrooms here at the moment, but very few boletus of any description. Not tried Wood Blewits before, what do you use them for?

Fly agarics taste awful and they upset your stomach, plus they make you behave like a lunatic! :shock:

You must be a week or two behind me then; last week was Parasols, but there are no new ones this week in the woods over the road.
Wood Blewits are a late crop, playing chicken with the first frost. You can't mistake them; they're lilac in colour and smell sweet. They're great with venison.
My best spot for them is on the perimeter banks of an old iron age village on top of the North Downs.

Back