Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:11 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:19 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

John wrote:
FYI the site relies on revenue from ebay (and other advertisers) to survive. Using a sniper = no revenue.

Just sayin'.

Is there any way to block the ads from certain specific sellers like pb*bikes, bbc, and their ilk in the highlighted ebay ads in the Wanted and FS sections? Those guys are the antithesis of what this site stands for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Interesting point. The ads for the US and Canada are run on a simple search, are you seeing *a lot* of ads from these guys?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:35 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

I do a fair bit on eBay. Maybe 30 transactions a month. So how would I benefit the site? Post a link on a thread to what I know I want, then buy through the link? Eg the cassette spacer I just bought?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:41 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

If you click through from the site and buy something that helps, doesn't have to be listed here.

Also if you share cool stuff that also helps 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:10 pm 

John wrote:
Interesting point. The ads for the US and Canada are run on a simple search, are you seeing *a lot* of ads from these guys?

Today is the first time I've seen an ad from pb* highlighted, not that I've really checked in the past (the $110 chain ring was what drew my attention to it today). They're nothing but profiteers, offer nothing to the community other than a lighter wallet, and "promoting" their business model here is off-putting. Maybe I'm alone in the sentiment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:07 pm 
Retro Guru

FMJ wrote:
Today is the first time I've seen an ad from pb* highlighted, not that I've really checked in the past (the $110 chain ring was what drew my attention to it today). They're nothing but profiteers, offer nothing to the community other than a lighter wallet, and "promoting" their business model here is off-putting. Maybe I'm alone in the sentiment.

You are not alone in that. I'm with you completely. They are against everything this online community stands for, and deserve a separate thread only. Not our business.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:10 pm 
Retro Guru

I favour scanning the listings of an evening with a large bott- sorry, glass, of red, and making a 'shenshible deshishun' about my maximum bid. I enter said bid with around 15-20 seconds to go, which in the event that I'm losing, leaves me enough time to enter at least one more unreasonably high bid to ensure I win anyway. I too have spent a huge amount on eBay, so it must be the right way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7