Ebay bidding, what do you favour

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Just curious what are peoples ebay bidding styles :) And how successful they have been ?

Are you a get in there quick with a high bid and put off others bidders type, a sneak up at the last minute bidder or somewhere in between.

I am a Sniper. I will place my max bid based on my budget in the closing seconds of the auction. This strategy allows me avoid the heat of auction bidding and overpaying for an item. This strategy works less than 50% of the time but it keeps me from spending outside my budget.

timkrik":1s8qxd87 said:
I am a Sniper. I will place my max bid based on my budget in the closing seconds of the auction. This strategy allows me avoid the heat of auction bidding and overpaying for an item. This strategy works less than 50% of the time but it keeps me from spending outside my budget.

I am generally a sniper (unless a late night drunken bid :facepalm: )

Sometimes though the item get pulled before the auction end which catches me out.

Sniper.... :cool:

No point bidding early on and every one else nibbling away all week trying to find out how high you have gone, get in there last couple of seconds. Get a bargain, great, miss out, at least you didn't pay more than you wanted to.

Obviously, when intoxicated, this all goes completely out of the window, although drawing out people to pay too much is a fun pastime when p*ssed. As long as you are on the 'merry' side of drunk, not the 'I can't focus' side....

FYI the site relies on revenue from ebay (and other advertisers) to survive. Using a sniper = no revenue.

Just sayin'.

When I say 'sniper' I don't use the sniper software I believe exists, I mean I leave it 'til literally 3 or 4 seconds to go....

Nerve racking at times, but good fun! :p

I figure out what I want to pay for it long before bidding.............I wait....................10 secs to go I place my maximum bid................4 secs to go I hit the confirm bid button. I never increase my maximum bid, ever. Mostly it works for me.

If it's a "buy it now" and I really want it, I buy it but don't pay until the seller has answered all my questions and sent through a detailed set of high res photographs, which I take my time going over. I only pay when I'm satisfied that I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

If it's a collect only I take my phone and computer and pay only when I've seen and inspected the item.

If I win the auction and I get a message from the seller within an hour or so hassling me to pay I pull out.

If the bidding is at all suspicious, I pull out even if I win the auction.

Generally though I make contact as soon as the auction has ended and introduce myself and use my real name and ask for the sellers name in return. I don't like anonymity from the seller when I'm spending my money.

It's different with every auction. I usually stick a low bid in to start with so I don't forget, and then message the seller to see if I like the cut of their gyb, find out more about the item and see if they're amenable to pulling the auction early. If they are, then I either make them an offer, fold, or make a reasonable bid to persuade them to see the auction through.
Once I have their attention I wait till the dying seconds before doing owt else.
I have spent enormous amounts of money on Ebay, so I must be pretty good at it!

Latest posts

Back