Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I had a new experience on a bicycle yesterday!

I decided for a change to take my underused franken cx/mtb across to some woods where I often ride my horse. As I wanted to get to the woods by the shortest route I used a couple of miles of the extensive network of shared footway / cycle paths we have around good ol Weston-by the -Mud.

I was not riding fast, just keeping up a good steady pace in keeping with the nature of the path, but on three separate occasions I had someone deliberately walk straight at me while I was on the cycle way. All three were lads in their late teens, two looked like college students and one was a fat lad with his mates. On all three occasions I just held my line and kept going, and I would have happily placed my front wheel up their gusset if the silly billies had not moved. Fortunately for them, they moved, so did not become intimately aquatinted with my front wheel.

Friday afternoon cocky male teens? A new trend? Standard practice on a shared path?

No wonder I stick to the roads, some car drivers are complete morons, but I've never had one drive straight at me and play chicken, at least not on a bike. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:57 pm 
Retro Guru

i have it all the time, by women an lads, also a nice trend of cars driving in the cycle lanes at side of the road i starting to get on my nerves, there wide not very busy roads yet still drive in them, had cars over take then swerve back into the bike lane, not good

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:00 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

its standard practise, Britains superiority complex is working on overdrive

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:10 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

lumos2000 wrote:
its standard practise, Britains superiority complex is working on overdrive

Well, if the lads who tried to play chicken with me had pushed their luck, they would definitely suffering with an inferiority complex had my bike made contact with them, as I was not stopping, and my aim is spot on. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:07 pm 
Retro Guru

I've had a girl once jump into the cycle lane, put her arm out and start singing. Then she blamed me for crashing, and threatened to call her dad to beat me up.

Cue riding home, about ten minutes later an astra pulled close to me, glared at me out of the window with the girl in the back seat, then drove off. Was I supposed to be intimidated?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:53 pm 
Retro Guru

On any shared path the walker is much more important and us cyclists are the nuisance.

That's just the way it goes I think!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Walkers / ramblers own 6ft around themselves, didn't you know? And don't get me started on the retard i-pod generation, I watched a hot female jogger, ipod in, run clean across a junction during rush hour without so much as a glance around her this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Ian W wrote:
On any shared path the walker is much more important and us cyclists are the nuisance.

That's just the way it goes I think!

Bikes are welcome anywhere in the UK, except trail centres!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:02 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

JamesM wrote:
Bikes are welcome anywhere in the UK, except trail centres!!!

And cycleways, apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:29 pm 
Retro Guru

gtRTSdh wrote:
Walkers / ramblers own 6ft around themselves, didn't you know? And don't get me started on the retard i-pod generation, I watched a hot female jogger, ipod in, run clean across a junction during rush hour without so much as a glance around her this morning.

Oh that's OK, none of the traffic should've been going "faster than their visible braking distance would allow" anyway, so she's done nothing wrong. Or something. :lol: