Royal Mail. A Paltry 3.3 Billion?

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
How can this be?

When you consider the number of outlets and the business itself.

3.3 billion.

Our possession is being sold off for peanuts.

Don't worry, like everything else that's been privatised, it's sure to be cheaper and better than ever afterwards! :roll:

xerxes":18y95xe7 said:
Don't worry, like everything else that's been privatised, it's sure to be cheaper and better than ever afterwards! :roll:

Just like water, gas, electricity, then. Hang on a minute...!

The value is the profits it can generate, not the installed capacity. Add a demotivated workforce, a business model under threat from electronic communications and obsolete equipment in sorting offices...

In the words of Dirty Harry, "do you feel lucky?"

Neil":2ehsx3zx said:
xerxes":2ehsx3zx said:

Don't forget trains. Some clever cloggs decided that not only should it be privatised, it should also be split up because "competition and choice is good for the consumer".

Yeah, because if you don't like who does the Liverpool-Manchester train you can just take your custom to the Ayrshire Coast Line instead. Makes perfect sense. :roll:

End result is that the quality of service as varied as the number of train companies, and whenever two of them share a section, they spend months arguing over which one of them pays for repair and upgrades. Wot with it being a profit based enterprise the only guarantee is they'll pick the cheap and nasty option.

The only service that works properly is East Coast Main Line, which is nationalized so shhhh don't tell anyone, or it'll end up flogged at a car boot sale and then rented back to us, just like the APT project.

I could keep going but it just makes me really angry thinking about it.

Bats":3sw3tcvg said:
Neil":3sw3tcvg said:
xerxes":3sw3tcvg said:

Don't forget trains. Some clever cloggs decided that not only should it be privatised, it should also be split up because "competition and choice is good for the consumer".

Yeah, because if you don't like who does the Liverpool-Manchester train you can just take your custom to the Ayrshire Coast Line instead. Makes perfect sense. :roll:

End result is that the quality of service as varied as the number of train companies, and whenever two of them share a section, they spend months arguing over which one of them pays for repair and upgrades. Wot with it being a profit based enterprise the only guarantee is they'll pick the cheap and nasty option.

The only service that works properly is East Coast Main Line, which is nationalized so shhhh don't tell anyone, or it'll end up flogged at a car boot sale and then rented back to us, just like the APT project.

I could keep going but it just makes me really angry thinking about it.

The public was sold a wooden nickel where privatisation is concerned - at least in the main. The market knows best and competition will provide the best and competitive value for the consumer - what utter bollocks.

Yes there was a lot of slop and reorganisation required - a lot of old practices examined, and some layers stripped out. The fallacy was that the only way to achive that was by privatising it all. So, lots of people got made redundant, and some degree of business practice and process re-engineering took place - but did the consumer benefit from it? Did they feck. All that was for the investors.

Service improvement? Why bother with it as operating costs - let's just get the customer to pay for that, whilst we get a huge handout from the state and line our pockets. Look at water suppliers - who the fvck are they competing with? Have you noticed improved service, less costs, a better deal, or more investment since they were privatised?

It was done for none of the reasons that were stated, it was a big wheeze to asset strip and line the pockets of a small few, whilst once again the big, big (the general public) foots the bill.

Most of the privatisation that took place, like a lot of policy implemented by governments, and smoked past the wrong guy with a bit of misdirection and hand-waving, was an exercise in how to dupe the general public with a huge fallacy of the occluded middle, in the hope that many wouldn't notice until it was too late, and then it could be blamed on previous administrations.

technodup":1jqg77n8 said:
Neil":1jqg77n8 said:
The market knows best and competition will provide the best and competitive value for the consumer
FTFY

Sure - but hey - you just spout utter bolllocks just to provoke a response and sound edgy.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were Frankie Boyle. Only problem is, he's actually funny.

And where's my drink, sunshine, those cliches about those North of the border are sounding more true every day.

Neil":28k47dwz said:
technodup":28k47dwz said:
Neil":28k47dwz said:
The market knows best and competition will provide the best and competitive value for the consumer
FTFY

Sure - but hey - you just spout utter bolllocks just to provoke a response and sound edgy.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were Frankie Boyle. Only problem is, he's actually funny.
I clearly get on your tits.

Job done.

Back