NEC Cycle Show Ticket prices - a rant

Salsprocket

Retro Guru
We had thought me might try and get to the Cycle Show this weekend but have been totally put off by their ticket prices and policy. Because we can't book in advance, it will cost £16 each to get in (we'd only save £5 between the pair of us if we were able to book in advance) PLUS £10 for parking. With a 200 mile round trip this just means it's far too costly a day out.

I totally resent having to pay the £10 for parking - it's not like you can go anywhere else when you park at the NEC. On top of that, you can't take in your own food and drink according to the Cycle Show terms and conditions. Oh, and you can't photograph or film anything either. :shock:

I've compared the Cycle Show ticket policy to another show - the Motorhome and Caravan Show. That show is £10 each on the door which includes parking and a programme. There's no conditions saying you can't take your own food/drink or that you can't take photographs.

So, the Cycle Show say the NEC set the parking price yet another show includes parking in the ticket. Hmm.

I know they'd like to get us all on trains but that doesn't cater for those of us who live miles from the nearest rail station, does it. :evil:

Rant over. :?
Possibly.

i don't think it's a very good show these days anyway, hence not going, also, the last time i went i booked in advance 'to save' but then they have a booking fee, i worked it out that at the time the on the door price worked out cheaper because there was no booking fee there! so booking in advance was a stitch up!

i think the only show worth while now is bespoked bristol

I left the NEC at about 6.30pm yesterday -- all the car park pay stations were shut with signs saying "pay on exit", the barriers at the exits were up and unmanned. I never pay for parking when I arrive, so that was a win ;)

This year was better than last year -- the show actually went all the way to the edges of the hall, for starters :)

£100 day out for two inc 200 miles transport say £40, parking £10, food £20, tickets £30, is not an expensive day out compared to most concerts, plays, hell even the cinema here is £11 each for the cheap seats. You can pretty much forget day trips unless you join the national trust & visit for free, just transport & food to pay for then.

gtRTSdh":2vwqgdvl said:
£100 day out for two inc 200 miles transport say £40, parking £10, food £20, tickets £30, is not an expensive day out compared to most concerts, plays, hell even the cinema here is £11 each for the cheap seats. You can pretty much forget day trips unless you join the national trust & visit for free, just transport & food to pay for then.

On this we would have to agree to differ :) I wouldn't travel 200 miles for the cinema! And I guess how you view the cost depends on what you earn - for us it would represent a large amount of our monthly disposable income.
My point is less about the cost of the day out and more about the attitude of the organisers to their customers.
The thing is with concerts/plays etc, they are putting on entertainment whereas things like the Cycle Show (and the caravan & Motorhome show etc) is that they want you through the doors to buy stuff so I still think this is a fair amount of whack to fork out just to look round stuff that you actually would have to then pay for - and the days when you'd get true blue 'show bargains' are a thing of the past.
Their attitude to taking in your own food and being able to take photos also puts me off.
I also forgot to mention that the Caravan & Motorhome Show have an offer where a wheelchair user gets a carer go in free - when I had to wheel Andy into the Cycle Show in a wheelchair a couple of years ago (injury - nothing permanent ), we had to pay the full price for both of us.
I don't mind us both paying the full price - but why is the Cycle Show so expensive and have such stringent rules and, indeed, blame their parking costs on the NEC when other shows are not only cheaper but don't charge for parking.
I'm female - I'll just argue for hours.... :facepalm:

You wouldn't pay to get into Marks and Spencer.

I question anyone who pays to go to a glorified shop dressed up as a 'show'.

Not been to a proper 'corporate' show for a few years. Thought it was actually pretty good.

Been to a few things at the NEC and pretty sure it's always a tenner to park. Few other shows on at the same time as the cycle show.

Back