Sad day: Company takeovers

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
For 13 years every morning that my husband has cycled to work, practically every day, I've rung him to make sure he got there safe and sound, I worry :oops: Today I called and it was answered by a strange voice, I asked for my hubby and a cross voice said he was not there and hung up. I was worried I'd got hubby into trouble. He emailed me a few mins later to tell me his manager had had all his outside calls diverted to his phone :(

I understand he is at work and should respect that, but I will miss saying "You got there safe and sound then?" The company has just been taken over so I guess they are more strict about non work related calls.

Does anyone here have freedom to communicate at work with whomever they wish or do you work where you can never communicate with others not connected?

Alison

He doesn't have a mobile, I suggested a cheap one. I can email him, at the moment until they stop that too. I also used to ring just before he left to say cycle carefully and I do like the sound of his dulcet tones when I say these things. Ah well, I'll have to tell the schools that they can no longer use his phone number when they cannot contact me, which isn't that often to be honest.

Alison

I was thibking a cheap £10 p/m contract, he'll never ever put money on a PAYG phone, but might accept a direct debit of £10 every month.

Alison

I miss the good old days when you walked out the door in the morning and unless there was an emergency you didn't have to talk to your family until you walked back in the door that evening...

...I simply cannot understand the mania to be constantly plugged into a mobile phone or personal stereo, especially the morons who walk down the street looking like Princess Leia their 'personal' headphones are that big!

What's wrong with peace and quiet? No wonder people don't have anything meaningful to say to each other any more... :|

We_are_Stevo":cz2c2u6s said:
I miss the good old days when you walked out the door in the morning and unless there was an emergency you didn't have to talk to your family until you walked back in the door that evening...

...I simply cannot understand the mania to be constantly plugged into a mobile phone or personal stereo, especially the morons who walk down the street looking like Princess Leia their 'personal' headphones are that big!

What's wrong with peace and quiet? No wonder people don't have anything meaningful to say to each other any more... :|

Mmm I'm not sure in 44 years I've ever said anything meaningful to my other half :LOL: It started 44 years ago with "It's my turn for the tricycle" and not a lot has changed since :oops: But I do miss him 5 seconds after he's gone out the door, till he returns home, he's just been a part of my life practically every day since playschool, when he's not there it's like wandering around without clothes on. He probably cannot wait till age takes over me and I'm six feet under and he get's a break :roll:

Alison

I am by no means a fan of the constant connection some feel the need to have but what gets me wound up is the times when my wife texts me about something, and what follows is a text discussion that could go on for ages :roll:

I just pick up the phone and call her - after all that's what a phone is for :)

We_are_Stevo":1v2xygwh said:

I agree. Other than sending a text if I know I'm going to be late or the missus asking me to pick smething up on the way home we rarely bother during the working day. My colleagues seem to be the exact opposite almost every hour they're on the phone and get into a panic if they don't get a response. In fact the thing that is most likely to send me into a murderous office rage is hearing one colleague say "Love you chuck" for the tenth time in a day to his wife.

Back