Anyone work (or worked ) as a cycle instructor.

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi

Does anyone or has anyone worked as a cycle instructor, I am thinking of a career change and one of the options is cycle training, i.e. teaching primary children cycle proficiency and wanted some advice.

Cycling Proficiency has been dropped in our area :( then it was called "Bikeability" and I think that's been dropped as well :(

Hopeless local council.

You need to check first if they still do it for the local schools...........

Shaun

Couple of RB members I know of that are cycle instructors are Gibbleking and Twister.

REKIBorter":15bo2xa7 said:
Couple of RB members I know of that are cycle instructors are Gibbleking and Twister.

Think Chopper is a cycle instructor, too.

rumour has it im better looking though.....ps they are known as road safety officers now...as was i.pm me for a good chat as it involves an awful lot of work and soul...

job involves the following...talking and organising with line manager ,head teachers,class teachers,local police,parents,girl guides with the aim os setting up and starting not just cycle lessons but road safety lessons with groups of ten kids at a time regarding dangers of crossing roads and about cars.you will have to do seperate sessions for each section.as well as out door lessons on site you will have to do classroom talks to whole groups ,sometimes even whole schools at the same time.
cycling lessons involve 2 stages the first being for the younger groups on the playground teaching the basics of road awareness,the second group is stage 2 for the last years of primary school.this involved doing one lesson on the playground to asses ability and the remaining on a predetermined road junction which will need risk assesing first.you may do the exam at the end for them too but each council has their own rules on this.its a great job that needs a love of cycling and working with kids and parents at a sometimes very personnal level.you will have to have at least 6 months training with a line manager before you get thrown to the lions and do it yourself.i even worked the nursaries doing benjamin and bethany teddy bear talks about roads and seatbelts too...those were hard but fun.did the job for 6 years so i have a font of ideas if ya still need help.

you will also get to like having ya car full of council stuff including 3 road signs which i carried everywhere i went.then there is the vast amount of hi viz vests....i hope you have a big boot.

just dont get me started on bike ability...gggrrrrrr :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Gibbleking......

Don't want to get you started on Bikeability...... but did it replace the "cycling proficiency" that my eldest kids ?

The richer kids did cycling proficiency when I was a kid in the 70's, they even got an enamelled badge they could stick on their bikes. I never took it but tempted to look on ebay for a badge :)

Shaun

Back