It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:14 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Is it my fault
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

ajm wrote:
Kerplunk wrote:
She may not want to talk to you or your husband but may be able to talk to a counsellor knowing thats its in confidence and can't be repeated to anyone including you.

Sorry, but that's not true. You'd be surprised at just how much that's said "in confidence" to teachers, doctors, school guidance counsellors etc is reported up the chain, whether or not that action is actually likely to help the person in question.

That's something that worries me, I went to the GP for myself, who referred me to a psychologist, who insisted I saw a psychiatrist, who made an assessment then asked to see me and my husband together, I never went home for another 4.5 months, I was sectioned. Everything just went completely out of my control so quickly, I've been a little afraid of them since.

Alison

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:08 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Isaac_AG wrote:
ajm wrote:
Kerplunk wrote:
She may not want to talk to you or your husband but may be able to talk to a counsellor knowing thats its in confidence and can't be repeated to anyone including you.

Sorry, but that's not true. You'd be surprised at just how much that's said "in confidence" to teachers, doctors, school guidance counsellors etc is reported up the chain, whether or not that action is actually likely to help the person in question.

That's something that worries me, I went to the GP for myself, who referred me to a psychologist, who insisted I saw a psychiatrist, who made an assessment then asked to see me and my husband together, I never went home for another 4.5 months, I was sectioned. Everything just went completely out of my control so quickly, I've been a little afraid of them since.

Alison

I don't think it's overreacting to seek professional help over your child self-harming - especially as it seems like a 2nd generation problem, too.

Thing is, are you projecting your own history and worries / anxiety on the situation? You may well be able to speak to somebody, first, without dragging her into it. But given you've had such issues, and now your daughter does, I wouldn't let it slide. People often think they know best, when the reality can be farm from the truth.

I'm not saying that healthcare professions and similar never get things wrong, nor overreact - but all the same, try to put yourself outside the situation for a second, be objective, ignore history, and think what's best for your daughter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master

It is not a choice when it comes to a child, you are duty bound to take the matter to a professional. I really would underline it is the responsible thing to do, I cannot envisage a scenario where there would be any alternative that would reflect well on a parent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:51 pm 
Retro Guru

Given Alison's own experiences you can fully understand her concerns. But her experience won't necessarily be the same for her daughter and nothing is lost by putting the suggestion to her even if she turns it down. Getting help now may prevent it escalating now or later in life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:32 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

Gawd. Not this again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:46 am 

I've been upset about this all day, doubtless your intention, I've been scared of saying anything knowing I'd be slagged off, doubtless of your intention, obviously you've been waiting a response so you can make me feel Shiite more than I already do, I know there are many here that would do the same, but there are twice as many who don't.

This is not the same as it is not about me. If I were to delete all the messages on this OT site that were repeated over again half would go. My mum said "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" that is why I never insult ever, just to insult, everything I say when it's personal, and believe me there is a lot of personal threads on this site, even if Raging Bulls hates anything on Off Topic other than bikes, from many bikers to fill the Albert Hall and that's why it is called off topic. I'm sorry you decided to insult me because, well I don't really know, but perhaps you should refrain from reading my threads and i'll do the same. Live long and prosper :)

Alison