I'm going sober & smoke free...day 4.... 03/10/13

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok,

So me and the missus have decided to go sober for October for a couple of reasons or more:

Health, supporting a valuable cause, saving money..

We're also going the whole hog and giving up fags at the same time, as the two evils inadvertently go hand in hand.

Regular updates will be posted here there and everywhere (inc. Facebook) and I/we would greatly appreciate all support and even a small contribution to a great cause if you so wish, but this is optional as the support/encouragement is more important..

A link to my cause: https://www.gosober.org.uk/profile/stevepress

Many thanks in advance to anyone that reads this post..

Steve

Re: I'm going sober...

I gave up smoking at 22, I'm 46 now, what I found was it was less the supposed addiction but the not having something in my hands so I got a load of Rizla's papers and made a mock ciggy to hold in my hand, really helped, struth the booze though, I struggle with only booze on Fridays :roll:

Alison

GT-Steve":2z9030r2 said:
Ok,

So me and the missus have decided to go sober for October for a couple of reasons or more:

Health, supporting a valuable cause, saving money..

We're also going the whole hog and giving up fags at the same time, as the two evils inadvertently go hand in hand.

Regular updates will be posted here there and everywhere (inc. Facebook) and I/we would greatly appreciate all support and even a small contribution to a great cause if you so wish, but this is optional as the support/encouragement is more important..

A link to my cause: https://www.gosober.org.uk/profile/stevepress

Many thanks in advance to anyone that reads this post..

Steve

Good luck to you Steve. I gave up alcohol last November and feel a whole lot better and i mean a whole lot.....After about a month expect people to encourage you to have a drink because they think it's all just a fad. When you get to about 3 or 4 months then everyone knows you are serious. I make sure i drink plenty of water. It helped to replace the urge for the first few weeks.

Karl

Buttt yeerrrr my besesstesssst matee an all thattttt. Hiccccc!!!!

Good one, I wouldn't mix poisons myself but what works for you peeps is imortant.

Nice!

Fair play, I struggled cutting down had to though as I'm a bit of a tool when I start :roll:
Stopped the b+h a bit back, I see a lot of people with those e cigs now may help you? I used patches for four weeks job done, still crave when I smell one sometimes though, good luck :cool:

Wow, stopping fags & booze together is a serious mission - although if there's two of you then you'll have some support and solidarity which should help.
Just remember, habits can only be replaced by other habits. Evening biking, DIY projects, car outings - hell, even TV programmes - whatever keeps your mind occupied and away from the 'easy options'.

Good luck with this Steve.

I have never smoked, as both my parents smoked like chimneys and the whole thing never appealed.

I stopped drinking back in 1987 after developing an 'intolerance' as my Doctor put it; this means a single glass of wine (or less) will produce the same sickness and hangover effects that most people would suffer after a real skinfull. The choice was put up with the side effects or stop drinking, it was not a hard choice to make.

A friend of mine was a publican and after over 30 years of smoking he gave up overnight, as his wife had to stop for medical reasons.

You can do it. :mrgreen:

I had been cutting back on booze for a few years and 3 years ago just stopped completely. you can do it!

Not smoked but my BH gave up last March after about a week on electronic ciggies. She used the really strong ones first and very quickly hated the taste and that was it :cool:

Since taking bikes more seriously I've cut down to occasional drinking - after a few rough years - and the difference to physique( :oops: :facepalm: ) and fitness makes it so so worth it. I'd never ridden 50 miles "with intent" until two weeks ago and now I want to do it next day...build towards 100, etc.

In the words of the song...

"Don't drink don't smoke? What do you do?..."

(retro-)Bike!!!

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back