Bike storage

gtRTSdh

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Has anybody tried these?I'm looking to clear some floor space. Is it ok to hang the rest of the bike form a suspension fork long term i.e. over winter

I like the idea of all bikes equally accessible, just not sure if a stud wall will take 7 bikes hanging from it!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-WALL-MOUN ... 51a9a1166d

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I had been wondering the same ...

I had my eye on these as they seem really nice / well made : 360617420875

But I only have two bikes to store, it would get expensive for your seven ... !

WD :D

gtRTSdh":5w4jhacb said:
Has anybody tried these?I'm looking to clear some floor space. Is it ok to hang the rest of the bike form a suspension fork long term i.e. over winter

I like the idea of all bikes equally accessible, just not sure if a stud wall will take 7 bikes hanging from it!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-WALL-MOUN ... 51a9a1166d

Cheers I've been looking for something similar :)

The listing implies that they would actually 'hang; (as in off one wheel) wouldn't lowering the mount so the rear wheel sat on the floor (or vice versa) take nearly all the weight off the mount!?

If you're mounting anything like that on a stud wall though it obviously needs to be properly through fixed at the top, sides and floor to something substantial, not just the plasterboard ceiling - and the trouble is to see inside the wall - unless you built it!

I'd also face the studs with ply or OSB board so any load (vertical or horizontal from 7 bikes :D ) is spread over the entire plane (this can of course be done behind the plasterboard!)

Sorry for the egg n granny lecture - it's an architect thing :facepalm: :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I always thought susp forks should point down, to avoid any lube running out past the seals

G

Archemist":tyraa4wc said:
The listing implies that they would actually 'hang; (as in off one wheel) wouldn't lowering the mount so the rear wheel sat on the floor (or vice versa) take nearly all the weight off the mount!?

Thanks for the lecture, I didn't build the wall and I've no reason to expect a great job either.. I've thought of setting the back wheel down, but I expect it's the weight of the bike hanging that keeps it secure / straight, what do you think?

gtRTSdh":3i26p5be said:
I've thought of setting the back wheel down, but I expect it's the weight of the bike hanging that keeps it secure / straight, what do you think?

I think you are right.

I suspect it would need to be a fine ballance of just getting the back to touch and the bike wanting to 'fall' sideways.

Add to that different wheel bases and you would have non interchangeable bracket / bike combinations.

Don't change your back tyre from slick to large volume off road either ... :LOL:

WD :D

I reckon Wynne could knock you up something quirky that would function as wall art as well as cycle racking. I prefer to hang mine horizontally myself.

Back