Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:30 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 am
Posts: 743
Location: 钓鱼岛是中国的
"Are there no workhouses? Workhouses! Built them workhouses! But not with my tax money!" - Technodup, 1887

technodup wrote:
Because this applies to people two years on the dole. The first 18 months of which they might not have applied for any jobs at all. There is no proper record, other than a wee bit of paper.


And what does this have to do with what originally started this conversation snippet, videojetman's claim that "people can choose to claim benefits or choose to look for work."?

You know, what with it no longer being true, because to get benefits you have to either prove you're looking for, or actually be in work.

technodup wrote:
Nobody owes you a living.


Never said anyone did owe me a living, strange you think I am.

What I am saying, is that you blaming someone for failure when they're doing the best they can is bloody horrendous.

technodup wrote:
Apply for more, make better applications, get more training, start a business, I don't care which. But stop moaning about how hard it is, it isn't getting anyone anywhere.


I'm not just moaning about how hard it is, I'm pointing out that it is hard. You and your ilk are convinced it's easy living, a choice. When it's pointed out it isn't, you just fall back on "you're not trying hard enough, or you're not good enough". As if that solves anything.

Ending the workfare program, ending all austerity measures and closing tax loopholes, now there's real solutions.

Imagine that! Ending workfare would mean tesco would actually have to hire workers, instead of getting free ones from the job centre.

Imagine, if you will, a world where companies actually pay their taxes. You know how they say we "can't afford" X Y and Z, so we have to cut them? We could afford if someone held starbucks accountable.

So there's two birds with one stone. Both a way of increasing available jobs, and making "dole scroungers" even less of an issue.

Hell, I imagine bumping dole money up would be a big boost to the economy. Think of all the extra money they'd spend on cigs and big tellies! They'd be opening up extra bargain boozes and Currys across the land.

technodup wrote:
I don't know if you're on the dole or not and I couldn't care less. But you seem an expert on the system so you'll be fine either way.


I already have said I'm on the dole, good to see your reading is as good as your economic policy.

technodup wrote:
I'll treat that with the contempt is deserves. Suffice it to say you seem to have all of the problems and none of the answers.


John Maynard Keynes has the answers. It's funny to see that the economy has done exactly what his economic theories predict under austerity, thus validating him even more than the post war boom years did.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 1665
Location: Glasgow
highlandsflyer wrote:
They should scrap all social housing as well, and set up shanty towns on the edge of every city so the scum have somewhere to live and die.

Perhaps send in extermination squads to cull the less productive occupants.

Will you be happy then Techno and Video?
If you include sterilisation/enforced contraception for junkies and alkies you might be on to something. But I'd rather they were away from the cities tbh. The Highlands are vast and empty and full of electric fences. You can see where I'm going.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 3093
Location: Runcorn, cheshire.
highlandsflyer wrote:
They should scrap all social housing as well, and set up shanty towns on the edge of every city so the scum have somewhere to live and die.

Perhaps send in extermination squads to cull the less productive occupants.

Will you be happy then Techno and Video?

In a word, speaking for my self, no.
Would it make you happy H.F. ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:45 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am
Posts: 15608
technodup wrote:
highlandsflyer wrote:
They should scrap all social housing as well, and set up shanty towns on the edge of every city so the scum have somewhere to live and die.

Perhaps send in extermination squads to cull the less productive occupants.

Will you be happy then Techno and Video?
If you include sterilisation/enforced contraception for junkies and alkies you might be on to something. But I'd rather they were away from the cities tbh. The Highlands are vast and empty and full of electric fences. You can see where I'm going.



yeah and it is the same old boring shite, you just change the order of the words to make it seem like you have more than one idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:06 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:12 am
Posts: 680
Location: Anglesey
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest proposals involve community service (local councils, charities etc), as opposed to working at Tescos or wherever 'for free'. Obviously there's the awful possibility that someone will see you sweeping up litter and assume you're a petty criminal...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 1665
Location: Glasgow
Bats wrote:
What I am saying, is that you blaming someone for failure when they're doing the best they can is bloody horrendous.
I suppose it's always easier to blame someone else.

Bats wrote:
You and your ilk are convinced it's easy living, a choice. When it's pointed out it isn't, you just fall back on "you're not trying hard enough, or you're not good enough". As if that solves anything.
My ilk? Me who was in the same position a few years ago?

Bats wrote:
Ending the workfare program, ending all austerity measures and closing tax loopholes, now there's real solutions.
Austerity measures? We're spending and borrowing more now than we ever have. Whatever you want to call what we've got, austerity it isn't.

Bats wrote:
Imagine that! Ending workfare would mean tesco would actually have to hire workers, instead of getting free ones from the job centre.
I'm not sure Tesco getting the unemployable into uniforms is as good a deal as it sounds. Maybe to the high command but I bet the floor managers are less keen.

Bats wrote:
Imagine, if you will, a world where companies actually pay their taxes. You know how they say we "can't afford" X Y and Z, so we have to cut them? We could afford if someone held starbucks accountable.
Someone does. HMRC.

Bats wrote:
I already have said I'm on the dole, good to see your reading is as good as your economic policy.
Forgive me for skipping some. You seem to have a lot of time to spare talking shite on the internet. Is TotalJobs down?

Bats wrote:
John Maynard Keynes has the answers. It's funny to see that the economy has done exactly what his economic theories predict under austerity, thus validating him even more than the post war boom years did.
We haven't had austerity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 am
Posts: 743
Location: 钓鱼岛是中国的
Koupe wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest proposals involve community service (local councils, charities etc), as opposed to working at Tescos or wherever 'for free'. Obviously there's the awful possibility that someone will see you sweeping up litter and assume you're a petty criminal...


There's been no mention of them stopping placements at for-profit companies. Indeed the only times companies have stopped workfare involvement is when they've perceived severe public relations damage.

Still besides the point. If a workfare placement can be found, that means there's work to be done. If there's work to be done, pay someone to do it. Don't rely on a Parliament full of aristocrats to force people to do it for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:17 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 am
Posts: 743
Location: 钓鱼岛是中国的
technodup wrote:
I suppose it's always easier to blame someone else.


It's incredibly easy when it's right.


technodup wrote:
Austerity measures? We're spending and borrowing more now than we ever have. Whatever you want to call what we've got, austerity it isn't.


All the cuts to social welfare and public services are austerity measures. They were announced and praised as such. Rising national debt is a consequence of them in charge being useless.

technodup wrote:
Someone does. HMRC.


Getting £5m out of them is not holding them accountable. That's a slap on the wrist, a mere show for the papers.

technodup wrote:
We haven't had austerity.


You, personally, haven't. Spend much time at the local library?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:30 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 1665
Location: Glasgow
Bats wrote:
technodup wrote:
I suppose it's always easier to blame someone else.

It's incredibly easy when it's right.
Aye, personal responsibility is over-rated.
Bats wrote:
technodup wrote:
Austerity measures? We're spending and borrowing more now than we ever have. Whatever you want to call what we've got, austerity it isn't.

All the cuts to social welfare and public services are austerity measures. They were announced and praised as such.
They were announced as such, but spending is increasing. It's a smokescreen.
Bats wrote:
technodup wrote:
Someone does. HMRC.
Getting £5m out of them is not holding them accountable. That's a slap on the wrist, a mere show for the papers.
They pay what they're due to pay. It's not the role of companies to pay more, or HMRC to force them. Government sets the rates.
Bats wrote:
technodup wrote:
We haven't had austerity.
You, personally, haven't. Spend much time at the local library?
No, not many do these days. it's why it was an easy cut to make. Still a crap example of those hard hitting cuts though.

I'll end this here. One because it's pointless and two because I have work in the morning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Free School Meals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:41 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 am
Posts: 743
Location: 钓鱼岛是中国的
Rubbing one out over a wipe-clean print of "our maggie" isn't work, mate.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], tufty and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group