learner driver - test in 3 weeks any tips?

raleighrider21

Retro Guru
ive been learning to drive in my grandads nissan note auto for the past 8 months.
ive taken and passed the theory just the practical test now.
its booked for 3 weeks today, any tips ?

Relax. Failing the test isn't the end of the world. And if you do fail it, learn from your mistakes for the next attempt.

At least that's what they told me. I never bothered with driving. Took a few lessons, quickly realized that car driving wasn't for me.

raleighrider21":2co8zm9m said:
ive been learning to drive in my grandads nissan note auto for the past 8 months.
ive taken and passed the theory just the practical test now.
its booked for 3 weeks today, any tips ?

You've learned in an automatic :shock: are you just taking an auto test, I'd rather pass in a manual and have both choices, or have you been professionally learning manual and practicing in auto, if so won't that be confusing?

All the best anyway.

Alison

i learnt in my grandads automatic and had him teach me because im more comfortable with it that way, i did a few lessons in a manual with a proper instructor and hated it, my insurance is getting paid for me and ill rarely drive, just needed to get the test done, i have no plans to learn manual, so just taking auto test, plan is to get through the test (hopefully) and drive his old nissan micra auto around for a bit. its mainly left hand reverse around corner and parralel parking im worried about :S

I once rolled a Micra automatic. Got it over three and a half times. An inherently unstable car made even less controllable by the variomatic box.

Chopper1192":1tuk4od8 said:
I once rolled a Micra automatic. Got it over three and a half times. An inherently unstable car made even less controllable by the variomatic box.

You ain't tried a 2CV, Shit that car is scary round a corner but God you wouldn't miss it for the world :shock:

The thing is if you learn in an auto you are restricted to perhaps a 1/4 of cars on sale second hand, OK a guess from trying, but passing in a manual all cars are at your disposal. I do like auto's though cus I is lazy :oops: manual now though.

Alison

I get that ill be restricted to automatic, my first two cars are already sorted so for the next five years maybe ill be sorted, the micra has to last me atleast two years then ill be having the Nissan note when my granddad upgrades to his next car, thatll have to last another 3 years until I build up my no claims, ill hardly drive the car if im honest and itll probably sit in the street like it already does and if anything itll get used occasionally to pick bikes up or to do the school run on days off, that's about it, I might be young but theres no way in hell im going to rag the car, half the reason im having the micra first is that if I do crash (quite a possibility) the car wont really matter, its not worth a fat lot and if its minor damage ill just fix myself and carry on.

at some point in the future ill learn to drive manual but right now I just don't want or need to, I know what ive gotten myself into with the restricted availability of cars etc

also is the micra really that unstable? ive never driven the micra just the note

I did my test a month ago and passed. Best thing to do in my eyes is be totally confident before you do your test or that will put you on edge immediately. Parallel park you just need to practice as well as reverse round a corner. Just remember to look down the road you are going to reverse in as you go past it. Only made me do a 3 point turn and a few pull ins to show me the maps for the independent driving bit. I stalled leaving a roundabout within 800 yards of the test centre on the way back as well...

Eat two bananas an hour before as they help to ease stress as well.

Mmmm If you think your driving tester is a perv :oops: don't try to drive half out your door your guaranteed to fail :roll: at least my next tester was relatively normal :roll: are there any instructors that are NOT strange? and I mean strange, never mind the people testing you.

Alison

The best advice I got from my instructor was that he wasn't teaching me to drive, he was teaching me to pass a test and I would teach myself to drive once I had my licence. It all made sense to me after I got told that.

I had to learn in a short period of time as I had a job coming up that needed a licence and could only afford 6 lessons. No theory test nonsense in those days though.

Back