PC Gurus Needed - New Build PC Will Not Start

kampos

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi everyone,built myself a spanking new pooter yesterday and all went well until powering it up. On pressing the power button it all lights up;whirly bits all whirl but then it stops after maybe 1/2 a second. Googling suggests it might be :
Dead power supply (Brand new but maybe D.O.A.)
Dead motherboard (Ditto;Ditto)
Short circuit somewhere
Anyone ever have this sort of issue and resolve it? I've built quite a few PC's and never had anything like this ; I'm prepared to either tear it all down to check or swap in my old PSU as I know it works ; but thought I would ask first in case I'm missing something. As it stands I have spent £750 on a doorstop :facepalm:
Thanks ; kampos/Dave

Any beeps?

edit: IME I've seen similar behaviour at boot time with memory that the model didn't like - not saying that's definitely it, but IME it's potentially one of the reasons. Are there components (ie RAM, or other add-on cards) you can selectively remove / isolate, that are non-essential for boot?

Have you the manual / PDF for the motherboard, and are there any diagnostic lights / LEDs?

When you start the computer look at the back and there are 4 little lights if you look in your manual it will tell you if you have a problem and what it might be ;)

No beeps,it turns off so fast I guess the speaker can't keep up. I'm just about to try a boot with no RAM in it just in case it isn't compatible. Already tried it with no 3d card (Haswell chip so has its own output) to no effect. @Kermit,I think those lights are only on Dell computers. Checking also for diagnostics in manual, haven't as yet seen any action on monitor -it gets signal so it "tries" to power on but then it all shuts down so fast. One possible here the board says it is ATX but it only uses 7 screws,one of which cannot be lined up with the case standouts. Maybe a (form) factor? <-- PC geek joke there. Thanks for the responses guys its all helpful.

No problem, have you tried all the connections to see if any are loose and might be worth seeing if the power supply is powerful enough as some boards are real thirsty for power ;)

kermitgreenkona88":172q9ob7 said:
No problem, have you tried all the connections to see if any are loose and might be worth seeing if the power supply is powerful enough as some boards are real thirsty for power ;)

Surely the board itself, though, as opposed to things like fans, hard drives, and other things, isn't going to be overwhelming the PSU?

If you think it's the power supply - and I suppose it maybe, just remove some of the big drain things that aren't needed for boot (ie optional / secondary hard drives, optical drives).

OK same issue with no RAM or different RAM. Power supply is a decent 850W so unless it's D.O.A. it has enough power for the job ; I have though tried unplugging anything non-essential - case fans and so on. Think I'm going to watch the GP ; assuming the telly doesn't explode or fall over that is ; and try swapping the PSU out afterwards.
Thanks again ; if anything else occurs please do post it up ; Dave
P.S. Suzi Perry has tight trousers today.

Definitely sounds like ram to me, I had the same problem with my Haswell build, try just a single stick, as it won't boot with none in there in each slot, and make sure there isn't any dust that's managed to get in anywhere while you're building it.

Back