the ''enrgy' drinks industry

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have very recently had direct contact with the pr team of the leading manufacter of these products, and I can't help to notice the similarities between the booze and fags marketing/sponsorship of sports circa 70's 80's and the nrg companies campaigns of today.

i'm not alone when leading marketing experts are highlighting it also, in fact it was a friend and highly successful businessman that pointed me to the info.

I have to say I feel much better for refusing to hire bikes to them, i was in a quandary as it meant quite a bit of wedge but having set the bike business up with intention of being as green as possible i felt i'd be a hypocrit if i let the situation carry on, I'm only a tiny business but at least I'm resting easier.

Saw you mention this on another thread. What exactly was it that put you off?

initially it was an attitude a 'team member' gave off led me to ask advice and check them out on the net, and they score incredibly low in their eco approach/waste management, ingredients sourcing, trademark behaviour you name it. The US government is concerned at the marketing strategies of the entire industry at the mo' and a number of leading adventure companies/groups are concerned the lack of environmental responsibility they engage in.
I have always relied on my gut instinct and it wasn't sitting well, I also presented a piece in the spring on '' adventure sports utilisation of the natural environment and the need for positive impact and socio-econmic benefits'' to a large group consisting and including senior uk national park reps, large landowners including the national trust and it went down well. I have been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to work in absolute pristine wilderness and i have come to the conclusion that by doing as much as i can to look after what is on my doorstep so that future generations can appreciate what i have had so far. By preserving and sensibly managing the natural environment people have the opportunity to relate to themselves and others in a positive manner.

I'll not name brands, because I'd rather not be sued... but surely they're putting something in 'em to make them addictive? Is it crack or meth or something?

I ask, as I once sampled the wares of one of the big named energy drinks, a few years back. I was at Centerparcs, and it was a hot day, and I was gagging for a cold drink, and they (for whatever inane reason) don't stock my chosen big brand of cola in their fridges, so picked up one of those sugarfree energy drinks.

Ever since I've been hopelessly addicted. That said, it's not one particular brand - I tend to just buy it in bottles from supermarkets (only the sugarfree variants, I find soft drinks with sugar in don't really seem to quench my thirst, just leave my mouth all sticky...), and there's some minor variance in flavour, between the supermarket brands, but all the same, it's so close as to hardly worth obsessing about.

All the same, though, surely there's some magic something-something, beyond the caffeine and taurine in them? So perhaps the analogy with the tobacco industry ain't that much of a stretch. Either that, or Slurm in Futurama, wasn't that far from the truth.

joe careless":2rdlxv3r said:
it's the effective marketing strageries healthy, exciting sports = healthy. no addictive substances needed it's all in the mind.

I don't see any of the adverts, I couldn't give a **** about lifestyle or exciting sports, or looking healthy, cool or anything else. The only thing that's kept me drinking the damn stuff is the taste or whatever is in it.

I think we need Mulder and Scully to take a look. Damn, they retired, had a kid, settled down, let it go. You can't rely on anybody to find the truth for you, these days...

Surely a sugar free "energy drink" that's loaded with caffine and taurine isn't an energy drink at all but rather a stimulant drink? Also I think most of us get more than enough sugar from other foods and drinks so should only really use proper energy drinks during endurance sports.

JamesM":2d1u4ege said:
Surely a sugar free "energy drink" that's loaded with caffine and taurine isn't an energy drink at all but rather a stimulant drink? Also I think most of us get more than enough sugar from other foods and drinks so should only really use proper energy drinks during endurance sports.

Since when has accuracy been important in advertising and marketing?

The impacts of taurine tend to be significantly overplayed - it's largely the caffeine that acts as the stimulant. You'd have to be careful with doping controls, for those that compete and have a taste for them, though - last time I looked, IOC testing, at least, used to look for caffeine above a certain point (which, from memory, wasn't so high that a couple of strong coffees couldn't have you falling foul of).

Good on you for sticking to your principles Joe. It's tough as principles don't pay the mortgage but as you say, you can sleep soundly.

Latest posts

Back