About to be a dad (ulp)... any tips?

grogee

Retro Guru
So the mrs has a bun in the oven, :shock: due next March. She got a brochure from Boots about all manner of baby related things - jeez they're pricey! What are the essentials, eg:

Pushchair
Car seat
Bottles/steamer disinfection thingy
Cot
Err, dummies?

Needless to say it's my first (though not hers)

I'm pretty sure a pushchair could be used to sleep in, so no need for a cot. And I'm sure I could make/adapt the belts in the car to stop a baby, they don't weigh much. How likely are you to crash anyway?

I've just saved you a grand.

You might want to strike off dummies (hate the things) and put clothes on the list. :mrgreen:

Also, complete redecoration of the spare room, despite the fact the baby won't care what colour the room is. You really do need a comfy chair in there though, cos if the tiddler is anything like my first one was, you'll spend many night time hours sitting in there desperately trying to persuade them that it is OK to go to sleep, they won't miss the wild party you'll be throwing the second they close their eyes. :facepalm:

grogee":k6pxm21m said:
So the mrs has a bun in the oven, :shock: due next March. She got a brochure from Boots about all manner of baby related things - jeez they're pricey! What are the essentials, eg:

Pushchair
Car seat
Bottles/steamer disinfection thingy
Cot
Err, dummies?

Needless to say it's my first (though not hers)

These things are the least of your worries, think about the sleepless nights, the waking up every few minutes, the stretch marks, the loss of sex drive and that's just you :LOL:

But seriously all those things you have listed are the easy bits if you can set up cantilever brakes you will be alright, it will be a special time for you and one which will change your life for the better In so many ways :cool:

One piece of advice, enjoy the time before the 'little un' arrives cos you are in for some fun ;)

ear plugs. practice being a sleep when you aren't.

seriously though having had 3 so far:-

smallest push chair you can get
lots of muslin cloths. no, more than that. still more.
get a baby seat fitted properly. halfords are very good at this.
dont worry about taking 2nd hand stuff (except car seats) they grow so quickly its silly to buy everything new. they wont care.
take any help any one offers you, even if its just washing up making a cuppa.
enjoy it. they soon get to 7 and start being little horrors.

NeilM":39yvnzma said:
You might want to strike off dummies

Absolutely - best thing to do, not get any, and don't start using them.

But people ignore the advice - often ignore their own advice, and the slightest whinge from a kid, and slam a dummy in it's mouth, then they've made a rod for their own back.

sedation not you, it! till its fully grown and able fend for itself, around 21/22 is a good age, keep it locked away till its day of release, then while its still groggy take it to the next town down the road, slip a tenner in its pocket, tell it you love it and run like hell, oh nearly forgot, only tell its first name so it cant find its way back home :)

personally i dont see the problem with dummies. not exactly an un breakable habbit. dont see many kids past two with em.

Back