Cycling holiday - flying with gels

minor_LEGEND

Senior Retro Guru
I'm off to Spain with my bike later this week. Has anyone taken energy gels away with them? Where is the best place to carry/stash them during a flight?
I was thinking hand luggage is a no go, much like the way toothpaste & soaps are restricted, which has made me think, why not put them in with the bike which will be boxed in the planes hold. How will gels fare in a non-pressurised cabin?

minor_LEGEND":1tq4jcyq said:
How will gels fare in a non-pressurised cabin?
what are you flying on? Something from WW2 or shortly after?

Not much around today without a fully pressurised fuselage.

Thats Ok then, so they should survive in my bike box?
I had visions of unpacking my bike & it being covered in a sticky goo. I shall bung em all in my water bottle(s).

No problem packing in with the bike...but as said, I'd be eating pastries in cafes instead.

Spain is a wonderful place to tour, drivers are much more courteous towards cyclists than in Britain.

hamster":2bog5x8g said:
No problem packing in with the bike...but as said, I'd be eating pastries in cafes instead.

Spain is a wonderful place to tour, drivers are much more courteous towards cyclists than in Britain.

A double helping of Churros for breakfast will keep you going all morning!

I'vebeen meaning to get out there for the last couple of years - too skint- and the last couple of months - too busy.
You can't win!
It is a bloody lovely place to ride; where are you heading Legend?

I think any fluids under 100ml are okay in your hand luggage. Gels are like 30-40 ml each. I've taken gels and drinks powder on in my hand luggage and didn't get stopped.

Back