Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:37 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Supliments Stimulents
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:52 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 302
Location: Durham
Are they really worth it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:12 am 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:56 am
Posts: 1496
Location: Doncaster
It would all depend on what you are wanting.

For example, I am currently working on gaining weight and bulk due to my weight dropping to 10st 8lb. I am in the gym three nights a week now and riding the bike on a Wednesday night and Sunday. I used some online calorie calculators and soon realised that I was burning more calories than I was taking in just sat at the desk at work, add to this the cycling and I was seriously under nourished.

In order to help me gain weight and muscle mass during the initial stages of my new regime I have been using this, bought from Argos for £43.00:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muscle-Anabolic ... B001FFL17K

In addition to this I have had to more than double my daily food and calorie intake.

In four weeks I have shot up from 10st 8lb to 11st 5lb.

So, in my experience, yes, it is worth while.

When my tub of 'Muscle Fuel Anabolic' runs out I will be following the advice passed to me via the UK based forum below:

http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/forum.php

My initial question post is here: http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/gaining-weig ... hakes.html

I'll be buying a 5 Kilo bag of this: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr.../10530943.html

And a 500gm bag of this: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr.../10530050.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:01 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:13 pm
Posts: 2574
Location: The Cock Inn, Tillett, Herts
I use creatine ethyl ester, L glutamine, taurine and another who's name eludes me for the moment. We're talking fractions here, the edge they give is a small percentage, if that. I've had a bad year, done a lot of work to get up to 260 then broke my ribs quite badly, so I'm running an odd split routine while I recover.

If you're wanting to bulk concentrate on compound exercises, presses, deadlifts, etc. Isolation work on your limbs is a lot less effective for packing on mass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:55 am 
Newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:09 pm
Posts: 6
If you are talking about stimulants which "gives you a mental energy boost" Craze most defenitely works, i would'nt recommend it though...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:45 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1728
Location: UK Southwest
I use Weight Gain 4000, BEEFCAKE!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:18 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Trebz wrote:
It would all depend on what you are wanting.

For example, I am currently working on gaining weight and bulk due to my weight dropping to 10st 8lb. I am in the gym three nights a week now and riding the bike on a Wednesday night and Sunday. I used some online calorie calculators and soon realised that I was burning more calories than I was taking in just sat at the desk at work, add to this the cycling and I was seriously under nourished.

In order to help me gain weight and muscle mass during the initial stages of my new regime I have been using this, bought from Argos for £43.00:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muscle-Anabolic ... B001FFL17K

In addition to this I have had to more than double my daily food and calorie intake.

In four weeks I have shot up from 10st 8lb to 11st 5lb.

So, in my experience, yes, it is worth while.

When my tub of 'Muscle Fuel Anabolic' runs out I will be following the advice passed to me via the UK based forum below:

http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/forum.php

My initial question post is here: http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/gaining-weig ... hakes.html

I'll be buying a 5 Kilo bag of this: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr.../10530943.html

And a 500gm bag of this: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr.../10530050.html


I've used myprotein's Impact whey for some time - can't fault it, nor the price.

As to creatine - well I've never been able to get along with it - always ended up with headaches - maybe that's a not-too-subtle hint I perhaps should make more of an effort to drink plenty of water, but all the same I've tried it several times over the decades, and never been able to get along with it for more than a couple of days.

At the end of the day, decent nutrition, and consistency are key - nothing wrong with using things like whey for additional protein intake. Just make sure the basics are well covered, a decent multi-vitamin can help ensure you're not missing out on anything essential, and watch the scales and your waist measurement (a good rough-and-ready guide as anything else.

Chopper1192 wrote:
I use creatine ethyl ester, L glutamine, taurine and another who's name eludes me for the moment. We're talking fractions here, the edge they give is a small percentage, if that. I've had a bad year, done a lot of work to get up to 260 then broke my ribs quite badly, so I'm running an odd split routine while I recover.


Truth be told, there's always some variance and flavour-of-the-month about certain supplements. Outside of PEDs, though, nothing is probably going to rock your world (and I'm not an advocate, never have, never will - I'm just making the point that the vast majority of supplements are way beyond over-hyped) - decent consistent quality nutrition, with typically commensurate protein intake to go with the demands. That and ensuring the need / desire to increase bodymass, is, ultimately, done in as lean a way as possible.

Chopper1192 wrote:
If you're wanting to bulk concentrate on compound exercises, presses, deadlifts, etc. Isolation work on your limbs is a lot less effective for packing on mass.


Not that I don't get your point - good compounds are good for an overall impact and strength. But the Friday-night-specials, in their vest tops, and baggy trackies (legs like pipe cleaners) - well for those that want big arms, focusing on training arms does that.

I've always tended to include the big compound movements - well mainly squats and some form of deads - not that bothered about bench, I was reasonably good at it in my younger years, but shoulders that need careful attention, means that there's a point at which ego stroking can be a negative thing. Even now, I'll alternate between SLP and squats - and over the decades, I've always been a huge advocate of squats maketh man - for leg strenght / power, and crossover to other activities, something like SLP can be a better choice.

The big compounds can be high risk, require a good deal of practice, possibly coaching to pursue safely. If you're serious about lifting - sure they make sense - but being pragmatic, and experienced, what really matters, is decent choice of exercise that works all the major muscle groups, without over-emphasis, or creating imbalances - as an example many shoulder amd back issues can be cause because many focus on things like benching and the frontal, visual physique they can see, and pay little if any attention to their rear shoulders and back. Sometimes evident in people in how they train legs, too - much emphasis on the big power movements, with inadequate hamstring stimulus and demands, can often mean when they do play sports or do other activities, although they may not realise, their ego-led focus, has created a situation where they may be more prone to minor injury and strains.

spacerace89 wrote:
If you are talking about stimulants which "gives you a mental energy boost" Craze most defenitely works, i would'nt recommend it though...


The only thing actually mentioned here, that could potentially fall into "stimulant" territory is taurine as mentioned by chops. And that isn't exactly straightforward in quite the same way as something like caffeine, is. The energy drinks that contain it, are more likely to have a stimulant effect because of their caffeine content.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 am
Posts: 165
Have to agree on the over-hyped thing. I have a mate at work who spends a fortune on those scientific sounding protein powders with pictures of muscle-bound freaks on the label. I keep telling him that Holland and Barrett Soy isolate contains all the amino acids human muscles have and is about a sixth of the price...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:55 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:09 pm
Posts: 6
Craze from DS labs is most definetly a stimulant. almost makes you "speeded".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:09 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 11:03 am
Posts: 18219
Location: Sunny Glasgow
Well, i had better start doing something about my weight, food intake and general fitness or i wont be here in 10 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:18 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: West Sussex
I use a vegetable based health drink called 'Beer'. It's widely available in different
colours and since it's made from vegetables can count towards your 5-a-day. It has
a fruit-based counterparts called 'Wine' which has similar properties.

It contains special chemicals which make you feel like crap the following day so you
have to go out for a ride to clear your head :P

Image

For bulking up I can recommend mixing 'Beer' with a solid suplement called 'Pies'.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RobMac and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group