Moving to spain any tips?

Bpool77

Senior Retro Guru
Well had it with Bpoo and board with Manchester so me and the missis have decided to move to the costa brava a place called Javea (i cant even pronounce it!). All are stuffs gone into storage moved out of are appartment shes staying at a freinds and im couch surfing any where I can (reminds me of the mad old days :roll: )

Just waiting on my passport now fist one ( i know i know 36 years old and never been abroad! ) sent it of today missis paid for it as my birthday prezzy 36 today ( as i rub my ever expanding penalty spot :LOL: )

Any tips or advice will be gratefully received.

Ta Daz

Yup; unless you have a job already arranged, don't!
26% unemployment nationally and much higher down south...
Good luck though!

LGF wins the prize for August's wittiest advice!

Interested to know the thinking behind moving to another country as a first venture abroad.

Might well work out wonderfully. I have done the same three times in my younger days, but only once was it into the unknown. Certainly character building and shakes the dust out.

Buena suerte!

suburbanreuben":2sb1jkld said:
Yup; unless you have a job already arranged, don't!
26% unemployment nationally and much higher down south...
Good luck though!
This really - if you're going there hoping to work then, unless you have something lined up and you speak the language, I reckon you'll be on a hiding to nowhere as unemployment is so high.
I spend a fair bit of time in Greece, which has similar unemployment levels, but I'm not looking for work while I'm there - if I was, then I'd probably not have much luck.
Nor am I paying rent.

A lot of these countries aren't a cheap option anymore, either. Most things, with the exception of fresh fruit and vegetables, cost at least as much as they do in Britain.

don't mention Gibraltar

rest has all been said particularly about lack of jobs and everyone hard up

Mental.

Never been abroad.
Spain has high unemployment.
Move to Spain.

When you get there ask for a guy called Ivan. He's brand new, came over here to work in Aberdeen and now speaks better Doric than he does Spanish.

I'd happily move to Spain in a few years. But I'd be buying an established house and either working from home, commuting to the UK or have some other source of income sorted. **** winging it, the place is a basket case. Borderline third world in large parts. Nice trails though.

learn to speak Spanish, learn to teach English, Bournemouth is full of Spanish learning English. get a CELTA youll never need to look for work

Anything is possible with the right attitude...

...start learning the language ASAP, even if you're not very good the fact you're trying will open a lot of doors.

Don't isolate yourself in an ex-Pat community either; you may get bar work but you'll be back over here before the ink is dry on the stamp in your Passport!

Anything you do that requires some stamp of authority, get yourself a good local Lawyer who is sympathetic to Foreigners to go through everything with you...

Back