It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:40 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I have one. Does that count?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Isaac_AG wrote:
... thirty years later it still makes me feel disgusting and ashamed.

Alison

Sorry Al, but I just don't understand that mind set...

...when I was 17 I was working at British Steel in Staveley when I was 'accosted' by another worker, no witnesses around; he was a hulking great black guy, married, also had a second hand shop up the road (I even remember what I bought there before this happened). Wasn't as serious as it could have been because after the initial shock/embarrassment I was still big enough to look after myself.

40+ years later I am neither sexually confused, homophobic, nor racist. It was just one of those things, move on, put it down to experience... :|

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

It must be great if your able to move on as you say but that is not always possible if your not a strong person. I have three things I will never learn to live with, including a couple of failed pregnancies, and in some ways it's like telling a depressive to get on with it and move on, I'm such a person, and I just like many, many people, there may never be a move on.

Anyway it's getting depressing now opps :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

It was the tail-end of 1977, I had led a relatively sheltered upbringing and didn't even realise such things happened; of course I knew what 'Poofs' were and what they did but I didn't know there was such a thing as a predatory bi-sexual.

I'd even only known one black kid at school, and even he didn't like me because I had to stop one of the school 'Hardos' from giving him a kicking in the classroom after 'home time' one afternoon in the 5th Year!

What happened to me wasn't my fault, I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time; apparently he was renowned for it, often taking the young new-starters up into his crane for whatever! Seems it was something of a right of passage, bit like Public School :roll:

I certainly wasn't going to let it overshadow my life, even if recalling it now it seems like only yesterday. Of course I was embarrassed and ashamed at the time, but as I became more worldly-wise it was easier to compartmentalise the experience; basically, far more interesting experiences were to follow and put it into perspective (all involving either girls or guns it has to be said! :wink: ).

At least now, when berated by those of a narrow-minded feminist bent I can turn around and say "Well actually, yes, I do know what it's like so..."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:55 pm 

I'm no feminist, I believe that women should be paid the same for the same job but other than that we are very different in so many ways. I once opened the door to a woman and thinking I was a lad I got the "I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself, I hate men that think I can't do things for myself" :roll: I just try not to make judgements about people :) I'm not suggesting you do though

Alison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 am 
Old School Grand Master

...nor was I suggesting you were a feminist :wink:

FWIW; when I was little it used to really wind my Mother up when people would say "Ooh, hasn't he got lovely eyes! He should have been a girl..."

Even when I was in my late teens the girls used to like it that I had 'Sophia Loren-eyes!' Not that I ever played on it... :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:41 am 

We_are_Stevo wrote:
...nor was I suggesting you were a feminist :wink:

FWIW; when I was little it used to really wind my Mother up when people would say "Ooh, hasn't he got lovely eyes! He should have been a girl..."

Even when I was in my late teens the girls used to like it that I had 'Sophia Loren-eyes!' Not that I ever played on it... :P

:lol: My sister always used to say BITD that I had Gary Lineker's legs :oops: I'd much rather have had Sophie's eyes :D

Alison