Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways...

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I know the law states certain things but after following an empty grain HGV showing 58mph on the GPS. Rattling through the Fens on an A road this afternoon, I am finding getting stuck behind lorries with this sign a little tedious:

restricted_by_law40_ResOpt.gif

Worse still the Tesco and Asda lorries sat at 48mph on GPS, travelling the A1/M leaving huge queues of other HGV's overtaking and causing un-needed hard braking from inattentive drivers and such like.

What really brought this stupidity home to me was a fairly minor accident this afternoon near Beccles, Suffolk:

Asda lorry, those huge streamlined jobbies trundling along the A146 or whatever, a solid 38mph. Queue of cars behind, one light blue Megane weaving in and out to see if they can overtake.

5 cars back I have a perfect view as the Megane darts out to overtake the lorry. Must have been a slow model/ driver as it seems to take ages to do it. I wince as the learner driver fiesta in the opposite direction squirrels under hard braking as the Megane has totally misjudged it leaving the fiesta stationary. The Megane scoots off ignorant to the ensuing chaos in its wake - the stationary fiesta gets a 40mph whack as a VW transporter explodes into it, tyres alight, catches it driver to passenger side on as it tried to steer around into the grass verge. I am still in moving traffic, not able to catch the Meganes number plate and not really be able to assist beyond that, the Megane is lost at the next roundabout.

So, who was to blame here?

Asda for taking the stupid stance of making their lorries slower than a JCB Fastrac?

The Megane driver for the stupid impatience?

The VW Transporter for not looking to see what the car in front is doing?

IF the Asda truck had been going 50mph, would the incident ever have happened?

Re: Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways..

It is only a Max speed, they can go as slow as they like AFAIK. Like a pedestrian, cyclist, tractor...
There was a trail from Lincoln all the way up North as lorries went up and down the hills struggling. Just sit there and drive slowly, why the rush.

Afaik, they are the speed limits for effing huge lorries BTW. 40/50/60 as you go single, dual, moto

Sit back, set the cruise to 40, and turn up Planet Rock. I dunno why some car drivers get so het up and bust their balls to overtake legitimate slow moving traffic in that manner. I applaud the drivers for obeying the law, and banning lorries from overtaking other lorries would solve the idiot Yorkie munchers who don't think the law applies to them.

Twot in the Smegane is responsible morally and lawfully. It's an indication of a psychological flaw, believe it or not a genuine sexual inadequacy, an atavistic need to 'dominate' those around them.

It would be great to adopt the system some countries have where HGVs are banned at certain times or on certain days. Reduce the limit on single lane roads to 30 if anything, and compel them to pull over more regularly.

Get heavy goods back on the trains.

Try following a logs laiden lorry through mid wales for 60 miles at a steady 28mph ;)
Just chillout and enjoy the view, oh sorry you are in the east and don't have one :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, the Forest out my East facing window and rolling fields out the west don't count as a view.

even at 40, I would suggest a "thinking" distance of more than 6ft which is frequently the distance they seem to like off your rear bumper even when you are in stream of traffic, I mean what is the breaking distance of an HGV ? unless they are told what speed to drive at I am not sure they could work it out for themselves............

who is to blame - megane dirver for dangerour overtaking.
unless there is a minium speed limit sign, then slow traffic e.g. tractos, jcb, scotters are allowed on dual carriage.

contact police - there are bound to be cameras on that road capturing car detials,.

I hated it when my van was first restricted but now I love it; I can sit on the motorway with my foot flat to the floor (far more comfortable than your leg hovering over the pedal mile after mile...) safe in the knowledge that the Chopper-Squad won't be breathing down my neck if my concentration wavers :cool:

AND; even at 68mph, downhill with the wind behind it, top wack, I still pass a good 75% (if not more!) of the other traffic!

It's a pity all engines aren't governed by GPS regulated limiters, the roads would be much safer; and people might actually learn to drive better... :|

highlandsflyer":sus2c0vi said:
It would be great to adopt the system some countries have where HGVs are banned at certain times or on certain days. Reduce the limit on single lane roads to 30 if anything, and compel them to pull over more regularly.

Get heavy goods back on the trains.

but will people be happy with empty shop shelf,s? there is a canal down the end of my street, perhaps we could start using them again ?

Latest posts

Back