Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:06 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:34 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9735
Location: Skipton
My god, I couldn't think of any thing worse then all cars being restricted. How on earth could I get past Doris on her sunday drive with Mavis? And how could I get past the trucks that use my 20 mile route to work even though it's not suitable for trucks that size? What about the tractors? You lot need to have a few trips from Skipton to Harrogate and back. A trip that should take 30 mins legally often takes up to an hour. :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:48 pm 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:15 pm
Posts: 6365
Location: Wales.UK
Chopper1192 wrote:
Yes, the Forest out my East facing window and rolling fields out the west don't count as a view.


Its not all about you love, i was talking to the cheese :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11108
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
The roads round the Highlands are generally fairly quiet, but often quite twisty and hazardous. 40 or thereabouts is actually pretty fast on roads that are only a few inches wider than your vehicle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:13 pm
Posts: 2574
Location: The Cock Inn, Tillett, Herts
Grannygrinder wrote:
Chopper1192 wrote:
Yes, the Forest out my East facing window and rolling fields out the west don't count as a view.


Its not all about you love, i was talking to the cheese :wink:

Ah, I see ducky. Monsieur Fromage has a wonderful view of Mount Grumble, Cambridgeshire' s highest peak. It's so high that sometimes its 12 foot high summit is shrouded in mist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:12 am
Posts: 680
Location: Anglesey
brocklanders023 wrote:
My god, I couldn't think of any thing worse then all cars being restricted. How on earth could I get past Doris on her sunday drive with Mavis? And how could I get past the trucks that use my 20 mile route to work even though it's not suitable for trucks that size? What about the tractors? You lot need to have a few trips from Skipton to Harrogate and back. A trip that should take 30 mins legally often takes up to an hour. :facepalm:


It might have changed recently, but I'm sure the 'law' allows you to exceed the stated speed limit for as long as it takes you to safely overtake a slower vehicle, as long as you return to the limit as soon as you pass them. Maybe the restrictors would allow you a quick 10-second burst of speed now and again :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:39 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Lincs
Hiya~As someone who drives H.G.Vs thought I would comment.The law states 40 for H.G.Vs on A roads.Not Tesco's etc.Modern trucks are more than capable of higher speeds.But we have to abide by speed limits set years ago!
I am are also tracked by my firm~ they want to protect their license and costs.I try to keep over and give cars/vans a chance but some people don't help the problem.They seem unable to pass when its safe thus adding to the line behind.Most of my driving is Lincs and the eastern counties so I do understand.
So please don't blame us :D only doing a job to pay for more bike tat!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:16 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26184
Location: Moomin Valley
nobody is blaming you, just that most 'lorries' dont do anywhere near 40mph.

50mph on a Motorway is just plain daft.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
Koupe wrote:
brocklanders023 wrote:
My god, I couldn't think of any thing worse then all cars being restricted. How on earth could I get past Doris on her sunday drive with Mavis? And how could I get past the trucks that use my 20 mile route to work even though it's not suitable for trucks that size? What about the tractors? You lot need to have a few trips from Skipton to Harrogate and back. A trip that should take 30 mins legally often takes up to an hour. :facepalm:


It might have changed recently, but I'm sure the 'law' allows you to exceed the stated speed limit for as long as it takes you to safely overtake a slower vehicle, as long as you return to the limit as soon as you pass them. Maybe the restrictors would allow you a quick 10-second burst of speed now and again :wink:


Oh no it doesn't! I tried that one with a Traffic Cop a few years ago after I got shafted by, of all things, a Tesco HGV (b*st*rd accelerated as I was overtaking him so yes, I can confirm that they do go a damn sight faster when they feel like it!).

Three more points and a £300+ fine... :(

As for all vehicles being restricted; it is the top speed that is limited, acceleration up to that point is unchanged. As I said earlier, my van only does 68 (max speed +10% +2mph) and I still pass more traffic on the motorways than passes me!

And I don't have to worry about driving around a curve and coming across a camera van on a bridge either 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:57 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:39 pm
Posts: 185
Location: Lincs
Dont know where this 50mph on motorways happens.60 is the limit and we are governed to 56mph.The only slow ones I see are the 40ton trucks on hills.We luckily carry light stuff so 56 is our speed.As for A roads many sit at 40+ to keep traffic flowing.
Got to go its Friday and time to head home and dodge the caravan holiday traffic :facepalm: Now there is a thread!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26184
Location: Moomin Valley
Asda and Tesco lorries proudly state '50mph on dual carriageways for your safety'


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], xerxes and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group