Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:11 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

Similarly, I know of one dead cyclist who fell under a car on Deansgate in Manchester, due to a pedestrian stepping out in front of the bike, knocking the rider into the path of the traffic behind.....

so by that token, its not just drivers that need educating or training, as I say its EVERYONE.
Pedstrians for being more aware and less stupd,
Cyclists to be less aggressive and automatically blaming the driver, have better road sense and taking more secure road positions
Drivers to be less aggressive and automatically blame the cyclist, and give vulnerable road users more respect

G

Last edited by unkleGsif on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am 
Retro Guru

Here here that man.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 pm 

unkleGsif wrote:
Cyclists to be less aggressive and automatically blaming the driver.....

And a perfect example of this would be in the deathwish thread recently where AndyR said that having hung back whilst following 2 roadies on a climb in a narrow country lane, then being given the "wave to pass" only to find a car coming towards him... then getting an earful by the cyclist for not coming past :facepalm:

Andy R wrote:
On my way back from work yesterday in my van I was driving (slowly and cautiously) up a narrow (single track) tarmac climb and caught up with two road cyclists, a man and a woman, both resplendent in their "MT" (Manx Telecom) team kit. As we were on a long right-hand bend and I couldn't see past, I just considerately sat about 10 metres behind them and waited for better visibility.

The woman, who was at the back, just kept waving me through and shouted "overtake then, if you want!". Thinking that maybe she had better visibility around the bend than me, I crept past her, only to be met with a car coming down the hill......

As I dropped back I said to her (through my open nearside window) that was the very reason I hadn't overtaken them earlier. I just got given the finger and told to "F**k off".......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

We could all be forced to re read the highway code and be tested on it a regular intervals. The rules already exist but few stick to them to the letter and tough enforcement doesn't happen.

Now the nights are fair drawin' in I'd better dust down my lights, dig out the dayglow yellow and start observing my fellow road users with intensity again. Principally it's me whose keeping me alive out there.

Chopper has many a good point !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:21 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Chopper1192 wrote:
But our own house is in a mess too, and as a group we could do so much to help our selves - a parallel "use lights at night, don't RLJ, stay off the path and don't filter against the kerb" campaign would be equally beneficial.

But the problem is, we are not a group, just as drivers aren't. Most that do those things you state would not consider themselves cyclists, but people that use bikes, and there is no talking to them either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:22 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

i think we need to go dutch http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23611650

carful now has a point, id rather get run over by a bike than a car

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:54 pm 
Retro Guru

isn't part of that being Amsterdam having waterways and not lending itself to wide roads and traffic and people keeping cycling and the take up of the car post war being slower, its a long time since cycled there, guessing they don't have all the attitude problem with RLJ etc ? or should we eat lots of "cake" :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:04 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

im not sure its just confined to just Amsterdam, though they do have the advantage of being a lot flatter. I think we have a bigger "cake" problem than the dutch. I like mine with "tea" :)

this was the link I was looking for in the first place
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23587916

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:14 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Pyro Tim wrote:
Chopper1192 wrote:
But our own house is in a mess too, and as a group we could do so much to help our selves - a parallel "use lights at night, don't RLJ, stay off the path and don't filter against the kerb" campaign would be equally beneficial.

But the problem is, we are not a group, just as drivers aren't. Most that do those things you state would not consider themselves cyclists, but people that use bikes, and there is no talking to them either.

This is a good point, well made. Whilst no doubt, it's a good thing to try and set and encourage good standards - I try and do this when behind the wheel of a car, when driving in the vicinity of cyclists - there really isn't so much a coherent group.

Best practice and singing kumbaya around a campfire ain't going to cut it - compulsion will. Just like things like drink-driving and speeding / "safety" cameras. There was no warm, happy, comforting consideration and consultation period, it's compliance or punishment. I have no issue with that applying to cyclists and RLJ or other dangerous activities, too.

The fact of the matter is, though, this is no time to get people on-board with empathy - because it's a big, fat, hairy crock - it won't work. The people who need targetting just simply won't have ears for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:15 pm 
Retro Guru

lumos2000 wrote:
carful now has a point, id rather get run over by a bike than a car

A little over half the cyclists who die on public roads manage to do so without a motor vehicle being involved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next