solar panals

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
has anyone got these fitted and are they paying as expected? we've just had a rep round to talk to us about tit, sounds good and in theory spot on..........but the 10k over 10 year bank loan/agreement is a tad off putting.

does the amount of money paid/earned and saved really even itself out?

really like the idea and if costs keep increasing this would be a very viable method of generating electricity without the stupid bills etc

your opinions please ............but please, no bollocks ;) lol

My dad says he is getting, on average, more money than he was initially told to expect.
I can get numbers if you like? ;)

Don't sign anything! My brother had some very dodgy sales techniques performed on him. Check the company thoroughly on line.

Do the usual stuff with checks, other quotes etc. I'm sure there must be some honest companies put there, just don't assume you're dealing with one of them.

The other (though admittedly slightly less important) thing to consider is how they look.

There are a number of houses round here with them and the majority are a bit of an eyesore TBH.

I was listening to a radio 4 programme recently and because of the recent government changes to tariffs after he had had them fitted it would take him 30 years to recoup the costs and they would only last 20 years, the chances of them paying their way is slimmer than an anorexic and that's being generous.

Alison

£10k over ten years? Surely what you're saving in electric you're spending on interest?

Either way if it takes years to see the benefit I wouldn't go near it. A lot can happen in a few years, who's to say you'll even live there in 5? And don't assume it will make the house more valuable/saleable. If there was much demand for them they'd be on more houses already.

And lastly think of the likelihood of circa 20% of your £10k going directly to the sales guy. £10k buys a lot of electric. If I was that bothered (I'm not, I use bugger all) I'd be more inclined to install a smart meter and enjoy trying to beat the bastards that way.

Three things put me off: An accountant friend of mine did the sums on his own place (very similar to mine) and said they did not work out. The look of them, a neighbour has them and my wife took one look and said "no chance". Last, you are committed for the duration of the contract (usually 25 years). Now I didn't think I'll still be in this house in 25 years time, so how are a bunch of ageing solar panels going to affect the resale value of my house?

It is also worth knowing that the inverters (the box the turns the DC coming from the panels, into AC for the mains), last typically 10 years, so who pays for the replacement(s).

My house is South facing, and I would love free electrickery, but I decided not to bother.

my parents installed them, just before the tariff was reduced. Gimick. 10 year payback with a 7 year guarantee. Now the hot water variety on the other hand make a lot of sense.

Latest posts

Back