Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
We_are_Stevo wrote:
...but as Chopper said, the evidence is proven; as has the plagiarism of online study, and parents wholly composing their kids' course work...

...I have always had a very high IQ (once again, proven :wink: ) and my term time work was exemplary, but I used to suffer crippling nerves during examinations and consequently my grades did not reflect my ability.

Under the current model I would have walked everything; without any nefarious assistance...


I'm not sure if your saying course work is a good thing because it would of helped you not have to suffer exams so much or a bad thing because it does not show full ability of the student and only those that are good at exams as well as knowing their stuff should be allowed through.

As you say you can be academically brilliant but collapse under pressure, so modular courses can be good for those, of course plagiarism is easy online but people have been passing degree's for centuries using plagiarism, maybe not the majority but it's always been there, internet or no internet.

I was a thick kid, I was put on the scrap pile not even entered for CSEs, I was remedial until I left in the Easter of my 16th year, funny after being told so many times how subnormal I was by the education system I entered college in my 20's studied GCSE's, their first year in existence, and then went on to study A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology with varying degrees of success and went to a uni that I hated, HATED!! and left after the first year.

Part of the reason I was bullied, apart from being ugly, is the fact that I was considered a dunce, the education system is not perfect but at least these days it has tried to help people who struggle maybe with exam nerves and lesser humans like me to feel they can achieve at least some qualifications at the end of school, I didn't have that luxury because in my day if you weren't in at least the top 3 sets your were not considered worthy of an education and I was in 6th.

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
What is the point of everyone going to uni, if everyone can go to uni?

The whole point of the education system used to be to prepare people for work; the better results you achieved, the better the job you secured for yourself.

These days a uni education only proves that you have the ability to assimilate information and recount it for a one-time application; the subject of your degree rarely matters, merely the fact that you have one...

...and now they are ten'a'penny they have been devalued to the point of mediocrity if not insignificance!

This is the price we pay for 'World Peace' and advanced healthcare, an over-burgeoning population and no way to cull the 'cannon fodder' of previous generations.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
Chopper1192 wrote:
Indeed, today University education is deemed to be a right, where as decades ago it was based solely upon academic ability and altitude.


In my day anyone under 1000ft was entitled to further education.

Let is not forget that academic ability was only part of the equation. For non mature students having parents that could afford it was also a consideration, as it always has been.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
Isaac_AG wrote:
...I entered college in my 20's studied GCSE's, their first year in existence, and then went on to study A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology with varying degrees of success and went to a uni that I hated, HATED!! and left after the first year.


Alison


Why? You'd done all the hard work; uni is p*ss-easy once you get there?

Of course, that's coming from someone who was going to be an architect but also dropped out after a year because I had a stronger urge to go and do something else entirely :facepalm:

(edited so as not to offend anyone with my 'been there, done that' attitude :wink: )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:00 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
We_are_Stevo wrote:
Isaac_AG wrote:
...I entered college in my 20's studied GCSE's, their first year in existence, and then went on to study A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology with varying degrees of success and went to a uni that I hated, HATED!! and left after the first year.


Alison


Why? You'd done all the hard work; uni is p*ss-easy once you get there?

Of course, that's coming from someone who was going to be an architect but also dropped out after a year because I had a stronger urge to go and do something else entirely :facepalm:

(edited so as not to offend anyone with my 'been there, done that' attitude :wink: )


I just hated the university, hated the teaching staff and hated the fact that in such a big place there was never anywhere to study, there was about 1 desk to every 500 students in the libraries, there was more study space in my college than at the uni.

I do agree though that a degree education has been devalued by making it open to every Tom, Dick and Harry especially by creating degrees that people with failed A Level results can do like Leisure and Tourism and Hospitality and now you have people coming out of uni refusing to take jobs and stay on JSA because they feel they are beneath them because they have a degree in showing people to their rooms in a hotel :roll: A degree should really be for jobs that need that kind of knowledge and understanding of the subject, not for jobs that could easily be done with an apprenticeship.

I really wanted a degree, I was doing Applied Biology, more to show those bast4rds that I wasn't an idiot or thick but hay ho at least I know I'm not and that's what matters, I think :)

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:14 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
before computers kids committed suicide over bully at school. Now it's on line. That's progress. She could have just turned the pc off?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:01 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
Having read the story in more depth I doubt she actually meant to kill herself; the note she left behind had no hint of 'finality' to it, I suspect it was a tragic cry for help but as kids today seem to have no concept of the actuality of death because they are brought up on a constant diet of 'video' games full of 'cheats' and multiple lives it all went horribly wrong!

I also doubt the bullying caused her death, rather the misery of her eczema; you only have to look at the photo her family released to the papers to see she was just another tragic victim of our superficial society where everything depends on how you look...

...too much slap and that strange 'dragged through a hedge backwards hairstyle they all seem to favour at the moment.

What a terrible waste of a young life :|


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
We_are_Stevo wrote:
Having read the story in more depth I doubt she actually meant to kill herself; the note she left behind had no hint of 'finality' to it, I suspect it was a tragic cry for help but as kids today seem to have no concept of the actuality of death because they are brought up on a constant diet of 'video' games full of 'cheats' and multiple lives it all went horribly wrong!

I also doubt the bullying caused her death, rather the misery of her eczema; you only have to look at the photo her family released to the papers to see she was just another tragic victim of our superficial society where everything depends on how you look...

...too much slap and that strange 'dragged through a hedge backwards hairstyle they all seem to favour at the moment.

What a terrible waste of a young life :|


I understand your thoughts, I was working in a factory about 1996 and a lad poured petrol over himself, he did it because he said before he died that he just wanted his girlfriend to take him back, he had no idea of the consequences he was just making a point and died because of it. Childhood not understanding the result. Funny at my mums homeless project two lads were arguing over a girl one lad was found dead by fishermen on his knees with a rope around his neck, I wondered how you could kill yourself by hanging if you were hanging with most of you body on the ground, did his adversary kill him? but being homeless both were not worthy of investigation they were just scum :shock:

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:57 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
You said earlier you were 'ugly' Al, well I have my doubts on that one too; and you certainly don't talk/write ugly...

...I suspect the problems you have overcome in your life have made you a very strong individual; just a thought, but have you ever considered the Open University?

My daughter had intended to go to uni, then inadvertently followed in her Old Man's footsteps! :facepalm: few years later took up with the OU and a few years after that gained top honours in her finals 8)

It's no less a qualification, may even do it myself one day just to prove a point...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:12 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
Isaac_AG wrote:
being homeless both were not worthy of investigation they were just scum


Is that what the police said? I have worked in homeless residential and outreach in London, and the police were very thorough when similar happened.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group