£6k to blow on a car - 700 miles a week use

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Our Doblo is getting on a bit (188,889 miles!) and beginning tow show its age - too many niggly faults for its next MOT such as passenger door wont open, drivers window jammed shut and so on.

It will need replacing, so another Doblo will do that.

But, also need a 'vehicle' to do around 700 miles a week. *edit: 'motorway' miles, no heavy loads, just tramping up and around East Angular

Needs to be comfy, reliable and look vaguely reasonable.

Suggestions on a postcard...

The VAG 2.0TDI lump has good numbers but is not their most reliable. I'd look for a Merc or BM 2.0D. If you just want trouble-free, look to Toyota or Honda. Mercs all have shocking rust until 2004/5 ish. They changed steel suppliers to cut costs, they've changed back now and offer 30 years anti-corrosion but the damage to their rep has been done.

Pyro Tim":2g77yhs2 said:
VAG diesel for me
Audi A3 Sportback, VW Golf, Passat, Seat Leon, Skoda Octavia

What Tim said.

I've never had anything but Audi and VW, so I may be the wrong person for motoring advice!!

al.

Why did you ever sell this Mark?

mercedes_500sel_629.jpg

Surely this would be ideal for wafting round East Anglia in, couple of flags on the bonnet and the locals would give you diplomatic privilege.

That's 36 thousand miles a year. I do 25-30k a year in an Audi 2.5tdi Q. Previously an A3, a 1 series and an MG ZT (on loan).

MPG and depreciation (because of miles) biggest factors

less than £3k get the best MG ZT (or ZTT) you can

2litres BMW Turbo diesel, basically the same as the 1 and 3 series, freelander td4 - no cambelt it's gear drive.

driven with a smidge of care and 45+ mpg. Run it from, say 90k on the clock to 150 in two years and get a grand back in private sale.

less than £6k

New shape (from 05) honda civic2.2 cdti, £6k will get you a top of the range Ex (or similar) with about 50k on the clock, 5 or 6 years old.

driven with a smidge of care will get into the 50's and will still be worth something with 150k on the clock.

A new shape Renault Megane sport tourer tdi is worth a look - a very underrated motor - I had a hire one for about a month and did more than 60mpg average. Nice car too.

As an alternative to the 1.9 or 2.0 VAG group cars or a 1 series Beemer (hard riding) which are also very good for what you want.

Neighbours on both sides and my brother have had Renaults recently and have been plagued by electrical issues. All got shut. I had a Laguna as a company car a while back which was great when new and behaved perfectly but I wouldn't take a punt with my own money on used.

John":27ttnwgn said:
Why did you ever sell this Mark?

Surely this would be ideal for wafting round East Anglia in, couple of flags on the bonnet and the locals would give you diplomatic privilege.

Sadly this had to be turned into a mortgage payment - it would have paid for itself on LPG if things had turned out better.

Keep them coming guys, personal experiences and so-on

Dont care about depreciation, just something vaguely reliable and not too expensive for tyres & brakes etc.

If you are not TOO bothered about size ( :oops: ) but still a bit practical, then you would do well to consider a top spec Audi A2 1.4TDI

Well ahead of their time, 100% aluminium so not rust, frugal, bit different
Will be my next car when the Lupo gets a bit too long in the tooth

G

Back