Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:04 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 24 Hour bike Races
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 5653
Location: Aberdeen
If you've not done one yet...... why not???!!

Just back from doing the Twentyfour:Twelve race at Newnham Park in Plymouth (and the 650 mile drive back up to Scotland! :roll: ), and loved it, great atmosphere, great course, great people :D

Any other retro-bikers there??

I was in a team of 5 and on my Pace, plenty of people who passed me (and there were plenty who passed me!) commented on the bike as they went by :)
Oh, and had a few shouts of "Nutter!!" but I think that was because I was riding on rigid forks. :?

I did see a few other retro-bikes there too, a Raleigh Dyna-tech, and a Marin Hawk Hill to name two.

Oh, and the Rockets & Rascals tent had a couple of tasty retro Yeti's on display with 3dv anno bling and a Tioga Disk Drive wheel *drool....*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 24 Hour bike Races
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:21 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:34 pm
Posts: 1851
Location: Launceston, Australia
team 24 hour races are purely awesome, well they were when i did a few, haven't for a few years, but they are what mtb racing was in the 90's, all about fun for 95% of the field.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 24 Hour bike Races
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 5669
Location: Dorset
jimo746 wrote:
If you've not done one yet...... why not???!!

Just back from doing the Twentyfour:Twelve race at Newnham Park in Plymouth (and the 650 mile drive back up to Scotland! :roll: ), and loved it, great atmosphere, great course, great people :D

Any other retro-bikers there??

I was in a team of 5 and on my Pace, plenty of people who passed me (and there were plenty who passed me!) commented on the bike as they went by :)
Oh, and had a few shouts of "Nutter!!" but I think that was because I was riding on rigid forks. :?

I did see a few other retro-bikes there too, a Raleigh Dyna-tech, and a Marin Hawk Hill to name two.

Oh, and the Rockets & Rascals tent had a couple of tasty retro Yeti's on display with 3dv anno bling and a Tioga Disk Drive wheel *drool....*


Me and jonnyboy666 were there too, but both riding modern :oops:
I did see you go through the transition a few times, and commented on the Pace.
How did your team get on?
It was my first time there too, and will deffo be back next year. A truly fantastic event!

A few of my pics here... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=265770


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 24 Hour bike Races
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:50 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 5653
Location: Aberdeen
Hi, yeah I only went through the transition a few times anyway :oops: :lol:
By some miracle I was actually the fastest on our team :shock: , we came 35th in the Open Male Team event, but we weren't taking it seriously... the guy doing his lap before me had to come and find me twice once he had done his lap, one time I was asleep, the other I was slurping a coffee :lol: In starl contrast to the top teams who were ready and waiting in transition and actually ran to their bikes :shock: :lol:

Was that you lot in the sumo suits?? :lol:

Great atmosphere, it really did remind me of racing in the 90's, good to see there was beer & cake available too :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 24 Hour bike Races
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:13 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 5669
Location: Dorset
jimo746 wrote:
Hi, yeah I only went through the transition a few times anyway :oops: :lol:
By some miracle I was actually the fastest on our team :shock: , we came 35th in the Open Male Team event, but we weren't taking it seriously... the guy doing his lap before me had to come and find me twice once he had done his lap, one time I was asleep, the other I was slurping a coffee :lol: In starl contrast to the top teams who were ready and waiting in transition and actually ran to their bikes :shock: :lol:

Was that you lot in the sumo suits?? :lol:

Great atmosphere, it really did remind me of racing in the 90's, good to see there was beer & cake available too :)


35th?? Bloody pro's :lol:
We were in the same category as you...and came 2nd from last :D
We'd have deffo won the beer and burger category though, had there been one.
We had a 12 hour 'rest' overnight, as 3 of our team had never raced before.
It was more of a social event for us, but we put some decent lap times in when we rode.
My fastest was 39 mins :D
The last lap was great. We all went out together with a stereo...blaring out Chas & Dave!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 24 Hour bike Races
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:54 am 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:36 am
Posts: 4715
Location: Burlington, ON Canada
makster wrote:
We'd have deffo won the beer and burger category though, had there been one.


We always made our own category :D . We were sponsored every year by Molson's Brewery, who would give us their 70' dia. inflatable event tent and 30 cases of beer for the weekend. The promoter wasn't impressed (the event's title sponsor was Labatt's Brewery).

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 24 Hour bike Races
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 am 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 5669
Location: Dorset
Brilliant!!
That's the kind of sponsorship you want :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kingbling, kingoffootball, paulswheels, pigman and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group