Lads Mags In Black Bags!

Is putting overtly sexual content magazine covers in plain liners a move forward?

• Yes

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Remove them completely from the shelves if they are offensive.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Couldn't care less!

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
"'Lads' mags' given cover-up deadline by Co-operative"
_68994888_68994883.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23486027

Good idea?

I saw the interview of the lady being the main driver of this witch hunt. Not surprisingly she was a minger feminist. I personally hope they don't cover up, not for the pictures but more to remind them that a small vocal group should not be the mind police of the many. It also annoyed me that this woman seemd to imply that if you read a lads mag then you will beat up women and treat them as nothing more than a sexual object.

It seems ironic that many of the lads mags show less than say an anne summers catalogue, Main stores underwear dept pictures etc.

Interestingly enough she never mentioned magazines with men semi naked, chippendales and the like as sexually objectifying men. Have you seen women behave at a stag do with a male stripper?

Its funny there was an ad on tv a little while ago for an italian olive oil marge and showed three old dears watching some young guy getting changed on the beach , the punch line was them sending there dog off to take his towel , i did think at the time would that have been on air if it was three old blokes doing the same to some young girl ? i doubt it somehow .
The whole mag thing just reminds me of this episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs75W-sGiR4 :D

Also if it became the norm, might the lads mags become even more extreme and thus even more offensive to the women who are upset by this as they dont have totone anything down.
Plus I dont see Vogue going behind plain wrapping despite the amount of naked female flesh see in there adverts alone !

The Co-op mentioned 'customers' who expressed an issue with them, I didn't see any stats suggesting these were just women. "The 4,000-outlet retailer said it was responding to concerns by its members, customers and colleagues about images of scantily-clad women on covers." From the linked BBC article.

I accept the argument Vogue has a different intent to the likes of Loaded, in the same way a Frances Bacon nude differs from Page 3.

KDM>
"I saw the interview of the lady being the main driver of this witch hunt. Not surprisingly she was a minger feminist."

Is that the lassie interviewed in that BBC article?

Hardly a 'minger', in fact quite the opposite! Not that it has an relevancy to the issue.

However much we enjoy them, being open for children (especially girls) to see is not good & is not helping girls' self esteem when they can't possibly compete with the cosmetically enhanced airbrushed beauties on display. It takes a grown up to realise girls that put all their efforts into their appearance aren't the most rounded (mentally) of people.

"It takes a grown up to realise girls that put all their efforts into their appearance aren't the most rounded (mentally) of people."

'Aren't necessarily' I could go with..

To be honest, if the members of the Co-op find these magazines problematic I can't see the need to stock them. Then again, I reckon we could do without cigarettes and hard liquor at our corner shops..

Back