helmet cams

daugs

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
after retrocomeback's recent experiences I thought I'd raise this. I looked into this a little while back as was going to be doing a bit of riding in London and as spending more time on the bike. The choice is rather overwhelming but I got it down to to the Contour ROAM 2 Video and also found this review linked from CTC http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=75457

but I was wondering how many people on here actually use these (helmet cams that is - not necessarily this model), generally at well over £100 not cheap and hence I've been waiting for Santa (in about 2020), good idea or bad idea ?

I don't recommend fitting objects such as cameras or lights to your lid. Having it punched through the lid and into your skull in a collision might be one film you wouldn't post on YouTube.

how are these being mounted to the bike / rider (noting Chopper's comments) ?

also given some designed to be helmet mounted, are there any cases where risk that Chopper described has happened, I'd always assumed the camera would probably be toast ?

I have dealt with a incident where a gent came adrift from his bike and his helmet mounted torch was forced into his skull. He was off work over 6 months and still suffers health problems from the injury after 7 or 8 years. I wasn't present, but witnesses reckon he misjudged a bollard, hit it nigh on square on, was flipped over the bars and augered in almost vertically on his head. I still see him about now and then.

I had my eye on a stem mount and have just found that Paul do them :

paul-components-gopro-camera-mount.jpg

I have this :

Which can also be mounted on the bars.

WD :D

I have that handlebar mount too and find it fine. Seen people complain about flex but haven't experienced it myself. Stem mount looks nice but I like my GoPro under the bars for front end shots. I fancy a chesty but they're horribly overpriced.

GoPros are brilliant quality and feature-wise. Only let down by the short battery life, so you'll need to be organised on charging (I charge through USB at work) or get spare batteries.

Back