Cyclist v Cyclist collision (on road)

retrocomeback

Retro Guru
Today I was cycling home from work when another cyclist blasted out from a behind a bush without looking and across the road in front of me (it was my right of way), I could not brake in time or swerve around him and went into the side of him causing me to go over the handlebars. I suffered a few bumps and abrasions but my bike needs a good hundred pounds of new parts to make it rideable again. The other cyclist (basically justna youth on a bike) refused all details I politely requested of him and quickly scarperd away. I have contacted the Police but their initial advice is that there is no offence committed, I'm stunned and rather annoyed. Thankfully I have the incident captured on video (I will post a link later) but I don't know where (if anywhere) to go from here, can anyone offer any advice please?

Put it down to experience and move on; you haven't a hope in hell of any comeback...

...are you covered on your household insurance?

We_are_Stevo":13dxbz6q said:
Put it down to experience and move on; you haven't a hope in hell of any comeback...

...are you covered on your household insurance?

I feared that may be the case, my bikes are all specified on the home insurance as separate items but I will have to check the fine print to see if I am covered for this sort of thing, thanks for the advice mate :D

I struggle to believe no offense committed given refusal to give details but others on here can clarify

you could bring a claim for damages, but you would need to identify him, as would need to enforce any liability awarded by small claims court if your claim was successful which would depend on evidence as to liability which is probably the video ? If it was a commute you may find he uses the route regularly ?

so probably dependent on how much time you want to devote to it, and maybe easier to write off to experience.............

No motor vehicles involved, no lawful requirement to given your details, and the police have no power to compel him to do so. The dispute is civil.

You could sue him, but you'd need to know who/where he is and he'd have to be 18 or over. It's a bit of a rum show, but either swallow the cost or claim off any insurance you may have.

BTW, no such thing as 'right of way'. There is only priority, which is something given, never taken. Use those words on an insurance form and you could inadvertently talk yourself into being at fault.

The important thing is you're not badly hurt. A cold frosty one and a good night's kip will put it into perspective.

We_are_Stevo":38afvd5s said:
Just make sure you eat some breakfast before you drive in the morning ;)

No driving or indeed commuting for me at all tomorrow, i'm now on annual leave for a couple of weeks :cool:

watching the video he's lucky you were on a bike and not in a car. If there was a college nearby that he possibly attended you could try a copy of pic of face to college to try to identify ? It might also get someone to make sure they look at the junction.

If it was me I'd be tempted by small claims out of principle if could identify but a lot of hassle and better advice is probably to move on per above from Chopper.

Back