Saab 900

I wanted one, until i realised they are front wheel drive even though the engine is mounted like a rear wheel drive car :roll: they justed bolted the gearbox on the wrong way round :LOL:

Attachments

• saab.jpg
    saab.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 745
Grannygrinder":o2ewz0ub said:
I wanted one, until i realised they are front wheel drive even though the engine is mounted like a rear wheel drive car :roll: they justed bolted the gearbox on the wrong way round :LOL:

Passat B5s had the engines mounted longitudinally, too - probably Audi A6s and A4s from that era. At some point, Passats at least, went back to transverse - whenever they started platform sharing with the Golf platform again.

Had a 900 turbo on a 1985 C plate in silver. God I loved that car.

There was a Saab dealer in Farnham common who would let you borrow one for the weekend. Worked for me!

shows what I know then, I thought they were rear wheel drive :oops:

I do like them though. theres a 95 one across the road from me but the old 1980s ones are one car I want to own. nearly did as well.

We had a D plate 900i as a family car for years - was a great workhorse.

Caravan on the back, canoes in the van, bikes on the roof, three on the backseat and a dog in the boot.

My brother bought the car off them and we used it for about three years to tow and launch a ski boat every weekend.

The car took some stick, needed very little maintenance and was very reliable.

I think we had a clutch put in it when dad owned it (towing the van and dads driving style didn't go well together).

Only mod was saab's towing kit which from memory was additional small diameter springs that sat inside the standard springs on the back.

It was a sound car when we sold it with the exception of the metal sunroof - the leading edge was suffering.

I remember comparing it to a later model and seem to remember they had made them a little less robust (probably for crash test crush zones). I think it was something to do with the a pillars / front legs ? Ours extended right down to the inner wing / lower arch where it was cut short on later cars.

We raced them for a while at bangers but they were only good if you could plate the front end - clutch hydraulics were exposed in front impacts - not a problem on a road car though ! :LOL:

I don't see many now to know how they have stood up to long term use - maybe theirs a message in that ?

WD :D

Would you believe it I was just going to click submit and a red soft tops just drove past - looked mint !

Not quite the same thing but had a 9000 for about 8 years. Like a prevoius poster it towed a caravan, a windsurfer on the roof and two bikes on a rack, oh and the family inside. The only problem was the ABS wheel censors, I think I replaced them all one at a time. They share many componants with the 900 and I seem to remember from the SAAB club magazine that it was a must to change the turbo oil or you ended up changing the turbo. :cry:
The engines were good for 250,000 miles with the need to replace the timing chain making them BER.

After several caravan holidays around France we used it to tow our wordly goods to Southern Spain with no problems at all.

Hope this helps.

Had plenty over the past ten years, 5 in fact, mum has had 2, and my brother had 1

Last one, and the main/favourite one had 250hp, rode like a go cart, sublime, precise handling, had full leather, boosted to 25psi, had it on the Mulsanne Straight at (ahem, 140 :oops: ) 3" stainless exhaust, the noise, especially in a tunnel was spine tingling. At idle, she purred so sweetly

When mum (6:cool: decides a Nissan Micra is probably a bit more appropriate, I'm going to look after hers for her, that way, the wife can't kybosh the idea of me having another one ;)

Only have one picture at the moment, the rest are in a broken hard drive
3422DBD2-5812-42C9-8087-36871F9E2422-1255-0000013FE88BD41A.jpg

I miss the old girl

Grannygrinder":3e93f4cc said:

I know that car :8:

They mounted the box that way round to be able to change the clutch in less than an hour
Drive belts are a pain the chuff tho :8:

G

Back