Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:10 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: I hit a girl
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:41 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

Chopper1192 wrote:
As opposed to riding their bikes into others.

I suggest you watch the video. It parallels the thread nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm sorry, but it's the callous disregard for the well being of the girl in question that I find breath taking, let alone the widespread condoning of physical harm just because the victim happened to be engrossed in her mobile!

What about all the moronic cyclists who listen to mp3 players?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cy ... ing-818868

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:03 pm 

We_are_Stevo wrote:
I'm sorry

Sorry that you can't/won't stop posting?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:05 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

You know what....
I came to RB originally gor interest and info on some old bikes that I had/have/would like to have one day. Now, admittedly I am not the newest member, nor the most prolific poster (thank god I say to myself, in many ways).... but the petty arguing, bitching, and holier than thou attitude by some, be it aimed at other people's opinions, bikes, stated of mind or any such post in all parts of the site, not just this "room" has increased dramatically in the last year, I would say
Yes everyone had an opinion, but no, we are not always right, least of all when we only have maybe 10% if the facts... not that it stops some people

I'm off to live my real life, not this nerdy geek bike bitchfest

Laters

G

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:10 pm 
Retro Guru

FMJ wrote:
Chopper1192 wrote:

I suggest you stop taking this thread so seriously. If you cant distinguish between those who are genuinely indignant, and those flitting about the middle ground taking the piss then you wont survive long in the big bad World.

Last edited by Chopper1192 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:13 pm 

unkleGsif wrote:
but the petty arguing, bitching, and holier than thou attitude by some, be it aimed at other people's opinions, bikes, stated of mind or any such post in all parts of the site, not just this "room" has increased dramatically in the last year, I would say

You know it's bad when you find yourself pining for the days when Scott was in here sticking his foot in his mouth every two and a half minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

FMJ wrote:
We_are_Stevo wrote:
I'm sorry

Sorry that you can't/won't stop posting?

Not when so many others are posting such single-minded crap no!

What exactly, in the initial OP, constitutes 'light hearted banter?'

I'm all for light hearted banter, I have a very irreverent sense of humour, but I detest irresponsible behaviour that is condoned by the flimsiest of excuses; it would seem that it is only Chopper and I who appreciate the damage that can be caused by a 'shoulder check' though for someone whose national game involves beating the crap out of the opposition with a bent stick whilst balancing on a pair of overgrown razor blades (I have always enjoyed it myself before you start!) I suspect your indignation is motivated more by personal dislike than any kind of factual occurrence... :P

I once ran an old boy over on a busy inner city dual carriageway whilst riding my then-wife's 125cc Honda to work; he literally just ran (well, more of a fast shuffle really...) straight out into the traffic and gave me absolutely no chance to avoided him! Even though I swerved I still collected him with one end of the bar and floored us both.

I ended up with the bike on top of me and the following Volvo driver ( :shock: the embarrassment!) had to help me up. By the time I was back on my feet the old boy was legging it back up the road while we all stood around with bemused/baffled expressions!

I rode straight to the Police HQ just up the road, soaked it petrol spilled from my tank, and reported it...

...a month later I received a letter saying that, after a full investigation, they were not going to take any action against me!

Just because someone is walking in the road, using a mobile phone, doesn't exonerated anyone when they cause personal injury; also the 'highway,' by definition, reaches from the property boundary on one side of the road to the same boundary on t'other, motorised traffic is just forbidden from driving on the 'pavement' part. By the same token a pedestrian, walking in the road but inside a painted yellow line, enjoys the same degree of security as when actually walking 'on the pavement.'

Cyclists are also liable for claims against their motoring or house insurance for damage/injury caused whilst riding their bikes...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Im a big muscular adonnis ( thats greek for fat git) and i woukndnt aporeciate a shoulder inthe fizzog from evenba small rider. This is why i dont walk about in public updating m facebook status.

Conversely, just cos pedestrians can be inattentive chumps doesnt make it open season on them. As a road user in general and cyclist in particular im prepared for road users being H.U.A. - it shouldnt be a surprise to any of usn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:57 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

unkleGsif wrote:
You know what....
I came to RB originally gor interest and info on some old bikes that I had/have/would like to have one day. Now, admittedly I am not the newest member, nor the most prolific poster (thank god I say to myself, in many ways).... but the petty arguing, bitching, and holier than thou attitude by some, be it aimed at other people's opinions, bikes, stated of mind or any such post in all parts of the site, not just this "room" has increased dramatically in the last year, I would say
Yes everyone had an opinion, but no, we are not always right, least of all when we only have maybe 10% if the facts... not that it stops some people

I'm off to live my real life, not this nerdy geek bike bitchfest

Laters

G

Agreed. It's noticable that quite a few of the old regular posters don't drop by any more which is a shame. My two closest riding buddies don't play out on here these days for various reasons, the change in tone being one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:22 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Chopper1192 wrote:
FMJ wrote:
Chopper1192 wrote:

I suggest you stop taking this thread so seriously. If you cant distinguish between those who are genuinely indignant, and those flitting about the middle ground taking the piss then you wont survive long in the big bad World.

:lol: 'Bing!'

Spoil sport; I was just getting around to the time I stretched a wire across the road to deter errant cyclists and next doors dog ran off with the severed head!

Ah no, that was Nicolas Cage in...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next