Got knocked off my bike today - reporting to police ?

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
I got knocked off my bike this whilst riding to work , I am ok .....

I got hit to the back of my head by a 7.5 tonner,s wing mirrors whilst he was passing me climbing up a hill long hill. It knocked me for 6 and even I caught my elbow on the side of the lorry. It was very painfull to my head but could have been so much worse , my Giro XAR helmet did its job and protected me form serious injury. The helmet is smashed and broken and will be kept for the insurance company.

The lorry driver stopped and made sure I was ok, I have all his details pics etc and will be going through his insurance and has called me 3 times to check I am ok.

I have been checked over and all my injuries recorded. Just have a sore neck and elbow.

I called the local police to report the accident after my visit to a & e and they couldn't have given less, said that don't need to report the accident or driver as long as we have engaged details, I find this hard to believe , could not have been less concerned if he tried . this was the 101 number. Has anyone else experienced similar with 101 and should I be reporting this accident somewhere else ? ?

I am glad to in once piece and must express that benefits of having a decent helmet is pretty obvious, I fear I could have been another statistic if it wasn't for it

My bike is ok also if you were wondering :LOL:

The police are correct - as long as nobody is seriously injured and you exchange details they don't have any involvement.

If the driver had driven off (and you got the number plate) it would be a different matter - up to 6 points on his licence and a fine for driving without due care and attention and leaving the scene of an accident (the latter also applies if someone does stop but gives false details or refuses to give any details).

I don't believe they are correct. A driver hit you, due to a lack of awareness. This is driving without due care and attention, and you should take it further. Call the local police station direct.

Road traffic collisions

Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 requires drivers/ riders to report to a police officer or police station that they have been involved in an accident involving in any of the following;

any personal injury
damage only, where the other driver/ rider did not stop
damage only, where names and addresses were not exchanged with the other driver/ rider/ cyclist and any other owner of property damaged (even if the other driver stopped)

Insist on a report. You were injured. You visited a&e. the first point applies. It should be reported within 24 hours.

No injury (thank God), details exchanged, lawful duty discharged, no dibble involvement. You were advised correctly on the blower.

There is no such thing as 'driving without due care and attention' since the law was changed many, many years ago. There is careless and dangerous driving, and unless there is something of which we are unaware it meets the evidential threshold for neither. Evidence of more than a momentary lapse in concentration or judgement is required for their to be an offence. Unless you have evidence of such it remains between you and the driver to resolve.

Gravy Monster":e8ojt0sh said:
I got knocked off my bike this whilst riding to work , I am ok .....

I have been checked over and all my injuries recorded. Just have a sore neck and elbow.
:

injured based on post

Thanks guys , it's clearly a grey area, I have been checked by a doctor and have this recorded, I'm not look to take action just to ensure that if the insurance requires this a later down the line it's there.

I have subsequently been to local station and the indeed needed to report it at police station , the 101 thing was wrong and should have advised that as I had been injured that this is needed. I have an officer visiting me tomorrow.

Back