Lights Are So Cheap Now, So Why On Earth..?

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Last night a cyclist went straight out in front of me with no lights on, it was not quite dark but past lighting up time.

I went into Tescos to get my quota of Leffe, (still at £2 a 750ml bottle, bargain!), and there she was, just leaving on her bike. I called over to her, saying something to the effect, "You can get a set of lights for a fiver these days!" She replied without even looking back, "Mind your own business!" and raised her finger, at which point I realised it was one of our friends!

We both pissed ourselves laughing, and she apologised and protested that she always uses lights, but needed to get to the store before 10 for some wine and was in a hurry, the lights were on loan to her mountain bike because she had been out in the woods at night.

Thing is, even quality lights are under a tenner from Ebay, so does anyone really have any reason to see them as optional?

I will be donating a set to her next time I order some, in return for a bottle of wine!

Her being your friend doesn't mean she's clued up on bikes.
Some of my best friends are absolute halfwits when it comes to bikes.
No lights, non functioning brakes, seat too low, never mind the bald tyres and squeaky chains.
Numpties.

bren":jjmo8yz9 said:
Her being your friend doesn't mean she's clued up on bikes.
Some of my best friends are absolute halfwits when it comes to bikes.
No lights, non functioning brakes, seat too low, never mind the bald tyres and squeaky chains.
Numpties.

and then theres their bikes!

I'll get me coat...

highlandsflyer":fnh7oixj said:
Last night a cyclist went straight out in front of me with no lights on, it was not quite dark but past lighting up time.

I went into Tescos to get my quota of Leffe, (still at £2 a 750ml bottle, bargain!), and there she was, just leaving on her bike. I called over to her, saying something to the effect, "You can get a set of lights for a fiver these days!" She replied without even looking back, "Mind your own business!" and raised her finger, at which point I realised it was one of our friends!

We both pissed ourselves laughing, and she apologised and protested that she always uses lights, but needed to get to the store before 10 for some wine and was in a hurry, the lights were on loan to her mountain bike because she had been out in the woods at night.

Thing is, even quality lights are under a tenner from Ebay, so does anyone really have any reason to see them as optional?

I will be donating a set to her next time I order some, in return for a bottle of wine!

I know people can see you with £5 lights but can you see where your going especially down country lanes, I paid £219 for my husbands lights as a pressie when his very old battery lights gave in the ghost, They are Hope ones and are awesome for dark country lanes. My son bought a cheap set £15 with good reviews and couldn't see anything in front of him, being seen is not the only thing that's important.
Alison

The street lights tend to help with the seeing where you are going part..

You don't need to spend anything like a couple of ton to get decent lights for illuminating your progress any more, as it goes.

Don't expect the world on a stick, but you really can get decent shiny things for a tenner.

highlandsflyer":2jx5ts35 said:
The street lights tend to help with the seeing where you are going part..

You don't need to spend anything like a couple of ton to get decent lights for illuminating your progress any more, as it goes.

Don't expect the world on a stick, but you really can get decent shiny things for a tenner.

Aye but country lanes have no lights, and neither do many roads out of town, so you need blisteringly good lights then and £10 whatever there reviews have never got me a light that see's in true darkness.

Alison

You do know I live in the middle of nowhere in the wilds of Scotland?

The cheap cree lights provide PLENTY of light for casual riding in any environment. I have used two on my bars, one on the ground one aiming at the skies for the inevitable low hanging branches very satisfactorily for years! Not suggesting I could downhill with them, but general XC perfectly adequate.

Isaac_AG":2jfy9jhr said:
Aye but country lanes have no lights, and neither do many roads out of town, so you need blisteringly good lights then and £10 whatever there reviews have never got me a light that see's in true darkness.

You need to eat more carrots :LOL: plus they are good for you... win:win!! :D

In this instance I suspect that the alcohol already consumed had clouded her judgement, hence the "oh I'm only going down the road to the shops, it'll be ok" attitude (ironically it's times like these that Sods Law comes into play and the next thing you know is you're spending the night in A&E).

For riding to work I use a £5 rear light and an Ebay Cree LED front (less than £10), they help make sure other road users can see me and imo were money well spent, I don't really need lights that cost more than the bike did for riding along lit streets (although if it was a rural commute/off road then they sure would be a bonus! :) ).

Back