VGA to HDMI cables - tech bods required....

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Assuming you have another means of passing audio to the TV (if required), I'd just use VGA.

Edit to say - that first cable doesn't look like it does what you were thinking of anyway... you'd need something with more "brains" in it which would be consequently more expensive. Since your TV already contains those "brains" behind the VGA input, you'd be wasting your cash :)

The first cable wont work, standard VGA from your Laptop isn't digital for a HDMI connection.

VGA to your TV should be plenty good enough, not full digital HDMI but for PC ripped videos they're probably ripped to a lower resolution anyway. The desktop on the TV screen won't look monitor clear but as a 2nd display for movies it's just fine.

As was said you need to output the audio from the speaker socket on the laptop to audio in on the TV, if available and if it allows audio from that source and video from VGA, or you could connect audio from the laptop to amp and speakers.

most TVs have a 3.5mm stereo jack socket alongside the VGA input so you can connect a lead from there to the headphone jack on the laptop.

the graphics chip in the laptop should detect what resolutions the tv supports and offer them to you once connected (if the tv is full HD then 1920x1080 is what you need, I can't recall the horizontal resolution for 720p offhand as I've never actually used it.

as others have pointed out, VGA to hdmi won't work as VGA is analogue - dvi to hdmi might if It's the right (digital) kind of dvi as they use the same signal format.

My 2nd PC is set up to output to TV at full HD using DVI to HDMI ; works a treat. 720P incidentally is defined as 1280x720 :)

kampos":3pbxrwhg said:
My 2nd PC is set up to output to TV at full HD using DVI to HDMI ; works a treat. 720P incidentally is defined as 1280x720 :)

Yes, well, thats digital to digital. Unfortunately VGA is analog and requires some jiggery pokery before it can be sent to a DVI/ HDMI socket.

Then you have the digital handshake problem. ANY copyright material will give you a blank screen.

and 'full HD' is 1080P btw.

my craptop doesnt have DVI. just VGA and S-Video.....and an abundance of USB sockets....

I have been successfully running a VGA cable to my HD tv for years now with no problems so I would just use the VGA connection personally....

Slight thread hi-jack now, I have realized that I am converting DVI to VGA to achieve this but I have a DVI to HDMI cable around here somewhere, my question is would I get any real advantage from swapping to this cable :?:

Cheers :D

the dvi to hdmi should give slightly better picture quality (no converting from digital to analogue and back again).

also, if the dvi socket is wired for it, you may get audio through there too (this is in the spec but isn't always implemented).

I thought the improved picture might be the case but I had no idea I might also potentially get audio as well definite bonus :D :D

Back