painful knuckles during and after rides...

BarneyRubble

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Over the last few years I've noticed that my knuckles on both hands have become increasingly painful on rocky or long descents. It feels almost like cramp in the joints and makes it hard to straighten my fingers. Recently it has been getting worse and I now notice that after a long ride my fingers hurt for a day or two afterwards.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've changed my grips for something thicker and am riding a 120mm 29er, so it's not like I'm on a fully rigid bike...

Help! It's ruining my riding! :(

Sounds like it could be an arthritic thing unfortunately.
My only suggestion would be to loosen your grip as much as possible, but you probably know that already. :(

Stop punching hikers?

Have you tried any supplements? Glucosamine and chondroitin for example.

It sounds to me like you need to make much bigger changes. At the least try Ergon grips - the big GP1 type, not the all-mountains. Better still combine them with Mary bars or change to a dirt drop like Midges - you hold this type of bar much more loosely. I've not tried the Midge's myself, but people who say that they're a very loose hold, which sounds like what you need. (You'd want to put double gel tape on them - or some poron or sorbothane with tape over the top.) Conventional flat bars are pretty anti-ergonomic, unfortunately.

And see your doctor!

They arent dragging on the ground as you walk are they ? :LOL:

^^ as above- Supplements but it would still be a good idea to ask the local doctor :?

Thanks guys! Local doc is really unhelpful. They just say rest and take anti-inflammatories, which doesn't solve the issue! Basically any issues over the years have met with the same response; give up whatever it is that causes the issue! I think they'd prefer it if I weighed 50st and they could spend £000's on surgery and counselling! :)

Next stop could be ergo grips and new bars!

Takes a month to kick in so stick with it. Best of luck. My Labrador swears by it!

Latest posts

Back