Electrolysis Up My Stays!

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
I have been looking inside my stays and I want to sort the rust out before I treat them.

I have used electrolysis in the past. I only want to do the stays (no rust on the 853 front triangle) so I will be hanging the frame over a tub with just the stays in, first the chain stays then the seat stays. I can't blast the inside after so am going to run pressurised water through to clear the detritus.

I haven't used it on gear where there was paint left, so it is presumably going to mess the paint up on the outside, but maybe I can add some nipples and run the electrolyte through the stays without bathing them?

Thoughts?

oxalic acid then treat perhaps?

i have had very good results with oxalic acid but never treated rust on a frame internally

:shock: OH THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT. I thought it was going to be along different lines.

Much does this process cost ? cant be too expensive i would have thought :? and who or what type of company does that service ? Galvanizers ?

I would go with phosphoric acid, I can't see electrolysis being very easy.
Paint on the stays shouldn't be a problem for electrolysis; I needed to cut some quite detailed bit's of 10 thou steel sheet out, after finding I couldn't do it tidily I painted the shapes on with cellulose and etched the steel away, the cellulose worked as a mask..
What were you going to do for an anode?

Latest posts

Back